Koi Had Eggs!?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Last night when I came home from work I went to feed the Koi Pond and Goldfish pond like I do every night and noticed the Patio Pond (Koi) had a LOT of bubbles and foam that was not there earlier that morning. I took the filter lid off to do a water change thinking maybe an Ammonia spike or something fell into the pond when I noticed little white eggs in the filter pads and bio balls.

I quickly dumped 40 gallons from the pond into the 55 gallon tank sitting beside the pond and filled the rest up with well water, lightly shook the eggs off the filter pads and placed all the bio balls in the 55 too. laid (2) 12"x12" filter pads flat on the bottom of the tank and put a small aerator next to it to help cycle the water since I don't have any small pump right now.

What should I do from here? I would like to keep them and see what becomes of it, but I dont know where to start?
What should I keep an eye out for? when do they hatch? etc. Thanks

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I couldn't give you any advice, both times my goldfish bred, I didn't know about it until baby fish were swimming around, but I'd like to see pics of the eggs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Here is a pic
Pond Koi Eggs.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Not sure Meyer, I have a buddy with a 1,000 gallon pond who has just a few goldfish, so I will give a few to him and will play the rest by ear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I didn't want koi fry, as I have four adult koi in my 1700 gallon pond........even though many eggs were eaten and I hosed off the floating baskets etc.......I still had around 30 koi fry to catch and rehome. If you have a lot of eggs, maybe just save some? Those 30, hatched in the pond and apparently made it just fine :)

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have had plenty of fry still make it with the big fish eating most the eggs as fast as they are spread across the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I dont think your eggs are koi Jason more than likely they are goldfish , Priscilla be patient all thngs will eventually come to those who wait :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I dont think your eggs are koi Jason more than likely they are goldfish , Priscilla be patient all thngs will eventually come to those who wait :happy:

Dave
It would have to be Koi, That's all that are in the pond. The other pond out in the back yard is the Goldfish pond.

My fish spawned as soon as we were moving into the new house last year so none of the fry made it over to the new pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The Koi eggs hatched and I have about 15 baby Koi now. I also found out that the Goldfish in the other pond had eggs too and now I have baby goldfish lol. Glad I finally have Fry but I need to get rid of them eventually :/

Reaction score
I wish I could have baby koi, but I have so many dragonfly's that all I get is one or two new goldfish each year that manage to escape the dragons in the water!

I wonder if that's what would happen to mine? I do seem to have a lot of dragon flies around. I do have some small live breeders in the pond and they have babies none stop, a lot (too many) survive. Wonder if my goldfish/koi fry would survive?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I wonder if that's what would happen to mine? I do seem to have a lot of dragon flies around. I do have some small live breeders in the pond and they have babies none stop, a lot (too many) survive. Wonder if my goldfish/koi fry would survive?

What specie are your live bearers?

Ask a Question