Koi eggs laid Monday April

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Matt they are coming along very nice! I didn't fair nearly as well. I still have about 12-15 in my old pond and they are growing the best, but several are a dark brown, onlt a few show much color and one is solid yellow, one is yellow head black body, and one is starting to show some orange and black. I still haven't gotten any pics but looking at yours after looking at mine this evening I would say your easily twice the size mine are (Even the very largest isn't as filled out as yours.) The ones we moved to my friends pond he has about 20 still doing really good in his pond and 8 in a inside tank.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I have really enjoyed this post. The transformation from little black dots on a rock to these beautiful little fish is amazing. I don't know how you determine a show koi, they are all beautiful to me.

Reaction score
Some better quality pics so I finally got a real count and it's 96 koi total was 98 hatched the 2 died so 96 as of today
8cf17c70.jpg

88dac7c3.jpg

The yellow patches on this guy are very close together which should spread out as it grows bigger also he is slightly blue on top
9ae87527.jpg

Thanks for watching

Reaction score
What a great read! I just signed up here today looking for info on building a raised pond and I found a local, awesome!

I am in Slidell, let me know if you ever head out this way. I would love pointers as I am building this pond

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Best advice is can say is I wish I put in a bottom drain but Larkin def has a sweet pond going on in Hammond Larkin is fishingforcars but I personal say do a dug pool your gonna want to get the most water volume u can afford and have space for honestly I just built my pond like 2 months ago just kinda lucked out on the koi but I say use a skippy style filter alotta great info on here and Larkin has an awesome pond I think he has videos of it to but yea did u make an Introduction they will def help check out mine it's hello from new Orleans if u have one shoot me a link also if u need koi I should have 12 inch koi in about 8-12 months maybe sooner well see I'll def keep posting I have ones I know will grow fast and big just because I know which one and what to look for kinda. And Larkin I'm probbly gonna go to the camp this weekend so if ur their I'll call u when I get out their.

Reaction score
I will definitely need some koi in the near future. I was thinking of getting a big box of 2-3" from a website that I came across and then start selecting the ones I like from those to get the pond going for now and buying select larger ones as I know its well established. I did do an intro thread last night, I just added a ton of pictures of my yard rebuild. I haven't done anything towards the pond yet, but that will start next week. I think 30" above ground and 2 ft down is the way I am going to go. I am rethinking the basic rectangle design I originally wanted though. I may do a D or an L shape

Reaction score
I'd try to keep your pond rounded it's safer for fish and what site and how many koi and how much each and what do the parents look like because the better lookin the parents the better the odds ima check out ur thread one piece of advice do alotta research before u even pick up a shovel because plans change quick when u find a better layout.

Reaction score
Awesome pics!

Turns out I have a phone line buried right where I want go dig. I need to see if everything is run the same way now. This sucks!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That really is a bummer Tim! Hope you can figure out away to either move the wire or ?

Ask a Question