Koi jumping

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
During this last warm spell .....(water got to 60).....three of my large Koi started jumping...... so I kept a close eye on them, no flashing.....checked water chemistry.....perfect....turned the aeration and waterfall off and visually checked them, no blemishes.....I had this same thing happen year before last and I had a huge spawn...... so I am thinking they were just happy to feel warm water again or they are in the mood......Ugggh I hope they are just happy ..... don’t want to deal with another spawn.....lol Jimmy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Here on the east side of the state we had 78 degrees yesterday and my goldfish were hitting the surface (jumping) to eat the tiny black flying bugs that had hatched out in clouds.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
If they are “koi”,, (my goldfish don’t do this..) the females will pre-spawn (laydened with eggs in an egg-sack) leap out of the water or even jump onto pond side structure, in an effort to loosen/break the “skeen” that holds the egg-sack together. Only my female koi do this and it’s always when the weather in this god-forsaken country breaks...

Ask a Question