Koi Spawn in Southern California

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I had a hatch this morning,,, And The big koi in my upper pond are making me a fresh supply of eggs again...

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I got them in a 100 gal stock tank sitting on my deck ..every time i look i see more and more babies,,,Today i got a lot of eggs out of my top pond.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
DrDave said:
That is going to be tough right now. They are transparent and all you can see is 2 black dots where the eyes are. I will try. I do have some photos from last years hatching. These were about 3 days old when taken.

Now i see what you mean,,,I cant believe how tiny tiny they are.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
A friend dropped off a 55 gal drum today,,I am going to build a new filter for my 100 gal stock tank nursery .

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Get your wife to cut loose of some of her nylons. You will need them for the intake so the fry don't get sucked into the filter.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I am working on the nylons,,,:icon_mrgreen: My koi are at it again this morning..I put the mop heads in and a few evergreen branches....Looking for the 2nd batch to hatch sat...I do think i have enough eggs now but they keep on giving..

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have since learned that the sunshade material works well for a prefilter. I had my wife sew up socks for my intakes out of this. The baby koi will not get sucked in and some of the waste will. A win win scenario.:banana:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I had been using some landscape fabric over the small pump i have in the tank..finally got my nylons last night and put it over the pump this morning..
I made a small sponge filter for it until the last eggs hatch, should be any time now..
Then i am going to tie on to one of my drums and pipe filtered water to the bottom of the 100 gal stock tank , And let it run out a bulk head back to my main pond.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Here are a few pics of my baby tank,,,,It has a flow thru filter,turns the water over every hour.
I take a little water from one of my filters , and discharge it back into the main pond

Attachments

• Flowthru 1.jpg
    Flowthru 1.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 293
  • flowthru 2.jpg
    flowthru 2.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 304
  • flowthru 3.jpg
    flowthru 3.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 298
  • flow thru 3.jpg
    flow thru 3.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 273

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
How many fry do you think you have?
What are your feeding plans?
Set up a secondary tank for the bigger ones, they get that way by eating thier siblings. I have already isolated 50 from my tanks.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would guess around 500 ..I have water in buckets and coolers with green water growing the little swimming food...And i have been feeding Hikari first bites it is a fine powder.
I will start to think about the second tank.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have 4 brine shrimp hatcheries going 24/7. I am also grinding flake food. Even with the hatcheries and hatching 3 times the recommended amount in each, I am still short enough food.

Ask a Question