Large goldfish aquariums

Reaction score
Aren't goldfish notorious diggers? You'll have soil excavated from under the gravel. If you want to use soil, try it in a pot with gravel on top.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Yes, that's why I'm thinking a fancy variety - maybe they are not as agressive with digging.
- plus, Goldfish seem to like dirtier conditions, so maybe more of a natural habitat for them.

I'm thinking an inch of gravel on top of an inch of soil.
-still looking into it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I'd never put soil into an Aquarium Mitch to dran dirty as all fish will grub up for food my friend , you would be far better just having a layer of gravel , are you by the way going to place undergravel filtration ?
If so I recomend you the slot together variety made by Kagen if you can get it ?
You know as I do a clean tank is pleaing to the eye , whlist one that remains dirty well say no more :(
Not mentioning just how much soil will end up in your filters

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Yes, I know Dave.:)
I think you and I have different interests in our aquatic world. You like the fish and I like the substrate.:)
(my wife prefers fish too)
I really like to see them both benefit each other.

I actually have a hard time looking at your indoor aquarium. It has so many fish in such a small space, it seems to me that there had to be an elevated level of stress for them. I know you care passionately for your fish though.
Just as you would never put soil in an aquarium, I would never put that many fish in an aquarium as you had.

I will not be using an undergravel filter. The idea is to have a high plant population and a low fish population.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I know Dave.:)
I think you and I have different interests in our aquatic world. You like the fish and I like the substrate.:)
(my wife prefers fish too)
I really like to see them both benefit each other.

I actually have a hard time looking at your indoor aquarium. It has so many fish in such a small space, it seems to me that there had to be an elevated level of stress for them. I know you care passionately for your fish though.
Just as you would never put soil in an aquarium, I would never put that many fish in an aquarium as you had.

I will not be using an undergravel filter. The idea is to have a high plant population and a low fish population.
I missed this Mitch and feel I must answer your critism of keeping koi behind glass and I can do this quite simply by saying that no fish with elevated stress levels would live to 28 years, 22 of them behind glass and still be going strongly.
Others weve had 15 and 10 years again spending life behind glass again fish with elevated stress levels would not be alive today had there been stress to the levels you are talking about , we did loose one koi aged 27 years of age but in the pond... of old age:cry:
Our health official had he had any issues with our koi whilst behind glass would have told us so :)
As you can see from the photo's they are in immaculate condition :)
Nuff said my friend :happy:;)

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question