Learning As I Go.

Reaction score
Well this is our first pond. Me and my wife love fish and had plenty of indoor aquariums. but that gets old. we wanted something that would tell people what we love as they enter our house. we had a plain old shrub area put in by the builders a couple years ago. it wasn't looking so hot. So we decited to put in a small goldfish pond.

This is our progress. feel free to give critiques and suggest different things. because i am just learning as i go.

My buddy tryin out the preform
IMG_2773.jpg

IMG_2775.jpg

just tryin to see what we might want
IMG_2774.jpg

our old shrubs
IMG_2776.jpg

IMG_2777.jpg

IMG_2778.jpg

took longer than we thought to dig that thing out
IMG_2784.jpg

IMG_2785.jpg

IMG_2789.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2787.jpg

a vid to see water movment and to see if we would like the way it flowed

IMG_2788.jpg

IMG_2795.jpg

IMG_2794.jpg

IMG_2793.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg

IMG_2791.jpg

IMG_3103.jpg
]

a vid of what i looks like now. we have a lot more work to do to make it look pretty.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and why did you not go with liner pond as that will not be deep enough for fish in your cold winter unless you get a pond heater .Plus it would have been much cheaper .You could have stayed with the top preform and waterfall and did a liner pond for the bottom that way you could have went deeper .

Reaction score
I kept 12 goldfish in a slightly smaller version of that liner here in Indiana so unless you're in Alaska you should be fine, but I cannot disagree with the sentiment. A liner of the same price as those pieces you bought would probably give you a pond with 5 times more volume, and would be totally unique as you would design the pond yourself. All in all though it's a great start, the pieces look good together, and once you've got it landscaped all sorts of wildlife will start finding its way to your yard.

Here is my only tip though, when you realize how awesome ponds are, and you decide it's time to dig a big custom one, keep the smaller pond pieces, they're great for quarantine tanks, fry tanks, and growing plants in to put into your main pond to replace plants that get eaten by koi. So don't sell these preformed liners no matter what!

Reaction score
Thanks for the input yall! well the reason i went with the preformed was i was scared wouldn't get it right. Now looking back i see i should have done that. Knowing me, i will probably make it bigger at some point lol

The depth isn't really a problem out here. i live in Central Ar so when it does get cold it never gets below 30 degrees and if it does it never freezes. (well thats what i have read on other articles.) if it comes time when it gets real cold we will throw one of our heaters in from our old aquariums we have had inside.

i will keep that in mind buckry my wife LOVES the baby fish and watching them grow.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice set up, how soon you making it bigger? lol. Enjoy what you have done always time later to change it.

Reaction score
That's good advice, but I prefer "Enjoy what you have, then add more and enjoy that too." I think I'd probably keep the set up you have in the front yard and put the "real" pond in the backyard somewhere.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep it's a nice size for an entry way pond and now you can dream all year about where and how big you want the next one!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
and you can dress it up for holidays .put santa or the easter bunny and a witch at halloween .out there with a fishing pole

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ha Ha and don't forget the skeleton bones in the bottom of the pond everyone here is raving about doing................well mostly the guys anyways!

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Its going to be a very nice focal point when guests are visiting. Once you have all your landscaping around it and some fish, it will look great. I agree with what others have said, once you have bitten by the pond bug.... you will want a bigger one. :razz:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Has anyone actually put a skeleton into their water yet or am I going to be the first one?

Never heard of anyone doing it until you mentioned it, so you might be the first in this group of ponders.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
what about those ones the sell at halloween after it is past you can pick them up for around 5 dollars .I know walmart had one last year that was 5 feet tall and a lot of smaller ones also for a dollar and up .All you would have to do to weigh it down is drill a hole in some of the parts and fill them with sand and plug the hole up with silicon or a rubber stopper

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hey how about a glow in the dark one that you can make float on the top of the water ,scare people with it may even scare a heron away or predators .

Ask a Question