lillies not doing well

Reaction score
Hi, wondered if anyone has any lilly advice for me?
in a pond i built last year, last years last years lilly is doing well this year-as it did last summer.
however this spring (well 3 weeks ago) i bought two more, repotted and dropped them in the pond. one sits at around 18 inches(a), one at around 2 ft(b)
although the labelling states that is can go up to 3ft deep, plant b especially is looking very sickly.
although a couple of pads reached the surface, they didn't look good, looked a bit like they were browning off for winter. now the pads on plant a have completely dropped off and to make matters worse it looks like plant a is on the turn.
Am i expecting too much after 3 weeks? should i leave them be or try a new position?
I live in the uk and we have had no frost since they were planted.
any thoughts?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
You are asking too much of the poor things.

Move them up to just below the surface. Even better move them into an above ground container with just enough water to cover them. Place the container in the sun. Once they are established you can move them back to the pond into the deeper water.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
You only have to do this for weak plants. They will build up food stores in their rhizomes and will be fine next year.

Also some lilies are more able to tolerate the deeper water.

Reaction score
I agree with all this. I would put a weak plant just a few inches under water at a time. And put a fertilizer tab in its soil as well. They are hardy plants. It should thrive eventually.

Reaction score
what surprises me though is that healthy green leaves are making it to the surface. at this point, getting the suns energy and all, i would expect the lilly to go from strength to strength, instead they appear to die off.
will try a fertilizer tab for sure though.

Ask a Question