Lily pads in my bog

Reaction score
Country
United States
As I was admiring my lily pad blooms this morning, it dawned on me that maybe, these are the wrong plant for a bog? I have roughly 3500 gallons, and my bog is about 1000 gallons of that 3500. The entire bog is covered in lily pads.

Thoughts on lily's and how much they can benefit a bog? I would appreciate feedback. This pond is going on 4 years now, and I still struggle with water quality.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well that's interesting - I hope you'll post some photos as I'd love to see how lilies grow in a bog as compared to in a pond.
That's one plant I haven't tried in my bog, lots of other lilies, hostas, etc. but not them. I only have one water lily and it's in my pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My bog is full of plants. The pond is full of lilies. My bog water is not deep enough for lilies.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I too am curious how you grow lilies in your bog. If they are planted loose in the gravel I would be very very worried!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Would like to see pics...

Most bogs I've seen have only a couple of inches of water on top at most... Most have gravel above the water in at least some places.

Lillies grow in water 12-18" deep, mostly.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hmmmmmmmmmmm,
Interesting.gif

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think he has way more fish in his ponds then it can handle and the bog lilies are trying to suck all the excess nutrients up. @Kurtkoinut how many fish do you have in your ponds and how many gallons of total water?

Reaction score
Country
United States
3500-ish gallons, 10 koi, and 20 shubunkins. I have 1000 gph pump feeding the bog, and a 2000gph pump feeding two 55gallon drums of lava rock filtration.

I know it's too many fish for the space. The shubunkins bred last summer from just 3. I intend to get rid of the shubunkins soon to a new pond build a friend is working on.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I rehomed all of my shubunkins and goldfish. There were 36 in all. This leaves 10 koi in my 3500 gallon pond. Three days later, my water is more clear than any previous time in the four years I've had this setup. Now I can see all of the ugly details of my pond I need to fix!! So happy for the super clear water, not so happy for everything it exposed.

I went against what most people told me not to do...I seamed two sheets of 22mil PVC liners, when I built the pond. Well now that I can so clearly see everything, I can see the seams, and they are weak and leaking.

I would appreciate some recommendations for brand, and types of liners. I need a 20x30 foot. This will be my spring project next year.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I bought my Epdm 45mil and 60 mil, one from a roofing company and one from an irrigation company, both places cut them off big huge rolls to the size I wanted and put them in our truck. Took them home and laid them out in our driveway, hosed them off and put them in the holes and voila years later they are doing great! Mine were cheaper then from the pond places but it was many, many years ago! All made from the same rubber wherever you buy them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had good experience with Justliners, ordered two liners this Spring, one for the pond and one for the bog. Liners are definitely expensive especially if you factor in the delivery charges. The online process was easy and coordinating the delivery was easy too (they use a third party for delivery).

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm going on 51 this year, and I want this to be my last go-round with liner issues. I'm going to take everything I've learned from you good folks of this forum, and apply it this time, and hope it'll outlast me!

Ask a Question