Linus' Lotus and lilies (water)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have ours all growing in "pots" (flat lotus pots, no drain holes) to keep them contained. Then we either drop the pot in the pond on the shelf or keep them next to the pond - we have a few of each this year and they look pretty either way. We even have one in our fountain in the bog:

IMG_2739.jpeg

Obviously not functioning as a fountain currently, but this looks very cool! If you look to the right of the canna lilies, you see another small oil pan with a smaller lotus in it. That's one that I'm babying after SOMEONE (not mentioning any species CHIPMUNK) tugged it out of the pot earlier this summer. I'm amazed this one is still growing - they tend to be very, very fragile.

It will be even better when they start to bloom!

These all have to be put in the pond or brought inside over winter. We've done both and both ways work. Just have to keep the tubers from freezing completely and they'll come back year after year. Keeping them in the pond is obviously easier, as inside you need a room that stays relatively cool all winter. We overwintered one in the garage one year, in the pot of water. That worked great but you need a good deal of water if it gets as cold as it does here. We moved a really big pot into the garage and filled it with water. Kind of a pain as you can imagine!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are in a 300 gallon stock tank, around a foot below the water , that is where the kitty litter starts, the tubers who knows where they are in the pot. But they come back every year so must be deep enough to survive.

My stock tank is partially buried. One side level with dirt one side above ground level. I did put a bit of foam on that edge and some wood to try and insulate it a bit.

Ask a Question