Looking for adhesive to make a liner patch

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
When working with EDPM liner, silicone is not the recommended method. But will work, just not a long term fix for underwater.

The adhesive backed tape is stonger and is designed for it, and will last forever if done correctly.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
waynefrcan said:
That is how the factory joins the liner. Why not do it the same way for lifetime seal?
Are you sure. About 15 years ago a friend and I cut a 10x50 EPDM and glued it side by side to make a 20x25. We used the system suggested by the EPDM maker which was a gallon of liquid primer and a gallon of liquid adhesive. I recall being told it was the same stuff they used at the factory. Would not bet my wife on it.

But I do not see where the polyurethane sealers suggest by members would fail if one does a proper application. The stuff even flexes and stretches like the liner. I have not used it but have 3 tubes of PLS30 sitting here for some work I am going to do real soon now.

Anything sold for pond use has a horrid markup and you can generally find similar that works for a lot less outside the pond section. If it make you feel better to buy the 'right' stuff it is your privilege. Personally the more I save the more I can do.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
If you look at a liner seam from the factory, it has a strip below the seam and one above. Not sure if they use liquid adhesive or not, doesn't matter as they then put the joint through a heat welding.

For the consumer the liquid sounds crappy as you found out. So they came up with the adhesive backing. It's your choice whether to apply heat or not. I apply heat and have not had a failure in 10 years of ponding.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hi Montana, just wondering for future reference what has caused the small and large holes in the liner? How old is the liner aprox?

With my current pond 5 yrs old, the only hole is the one I cut into it lol.

Thks
Wayne

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
The liquid worked very well. Just that they did not sell it in smaller sizes.

Regardless of what is used good surface prep is required.

I think we can agree to disagree on this one.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Sure, at 3.95 or 4.95 a foot plus shipping won't break the bank either.

Reaction score
Wayne, I'm trying to avoid having to pay the high price of the adhesive backed patches or tape. It would be easier, yes. But, we just don't have the funds. So, I have one particular area that is almost 10"x12" that has several holes from the size of a dime to a baseball. There are also a few spots that had been sealed by the previous owner with some sort of caulk that has now come loose and need to be re-sealed. And a few new small holes from a pitch fork! So, as you can see, it could get pricey using those premade patches.

I the RTV silicone didn't hold at all. I would need to get some sort of primer like acetone? to make a tacky surface. I'm hoping the 3M marine grade sealant will work. It arrives on Tuesday. The gorilla glue is holding well. But, I don't think it would stand up to the water. I even made a sample using shoe goo. But, unfortunately its very toxic. Wish I knew what the previous owner used. It looks like it held up for at least a year or two or three.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Sure do what you think best for your needs. So the holes are man made errors & not from the liner failing?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I found that gorilla glue never held up for long .
Gorilla now makes a caulking it to is polyurethane based it should grip well. But i have also seen the pros use standard silicone

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If your going as inexpensive as possible nd just caulking the rubber then i sugest you clean the epdm well with water or gasoline if its bad. make you patch caulk under the patch as well as around the seam WHICH SHOULD BE ROUND

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@manonthemoon Yes, this is a very old thread, but I don’t think the OP has been around for a long time. It’s possible that she is still connected and receives email notifications, but I kinda doubt it. Did you read through the post thoroughly? I didn’t, but maybe she commented somewhere in the thread.

And, BTW, hello and welcome! Are you having a specific problem, similar to this? Maybe you could simply start a new thread and let us know what’s going on. A new thread will be much more likely to receive pertinent and current answers, rather than one that’s piggy-backed onto an 8 year old thread.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I was wondering what type of glue that you were talking about. Was the glue Gorilla's white 100 percent Silicone Sealant? Or could it be the gorilla clear gel? Or is it something else?
https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Silicone-Waterproof-Resistant-Cartridge/dp/B01NCSN5AS
I was wondering this for my pond. The glue for my pond does not need to hold much water. I will need to add a foot of extra liner to a part of my waterfall that is leaking very little. I was going to use a lot of surface area for the glue which would be gorilla clear gel. Is that the appropriate glue for this?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, thank you Mmathis. Sorry about the last post I posted, I did not refresh the page so I did not see it sorry. I will start a new thred.

Ask a Question