Looking For Bog Filter Suggestions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am wanting to build a bog filter, ether to replace or in conjunction with my homemade Skippy filter.
It will have to be raised, as our pond is approximately 12 inches above ground level.
The pond is Approximately 8' X 18' and is about 3' deep and is made from a boat mold.

This is what I am thinking:
Concrete blocks as a base/foundation, then a basic box out of pressure treated
2X12's ( getting those for free) for a total of about 16 inch high side walls.
The bog will be 6'X6' and Rhino Lined on the inside with an EPDM pond liner inside of that.
1 1/2" PVC piping with 2-2" PVC outflow returns in to the pond.
12" to 14" of pea gravel and lots of plants.

Any and All suggestions are welcome and will be considered.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like you have a good plan! You will love how it takes care of your water for you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
2X12 OVER 6 FEET WITH NO SUPPORT WILL BOW IF IT'S TRYING TO HOLD BACK WATER AND GRAVEL ONE EASY WAY TO STOP IT IS TO PLACE STRONG BACKS AND IT WILL MAKE IT EASIER TO MOUNT TO THE CONCRETE. Use a 2x4 on the flat secure it to your 2x12 on the bottom eather way works where you can screw the end of the 2x4 to the 2x12 or the end of the 2x12 to the side of the 2x4.
also make sure you leave a good 4 to 6 inches higher then your water level or the bog when it starts to back up and dead plants in the winter will draw water over the edge . youll want to do the strong backs to the top and bottom of the 2x12

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Sounds like you have a good plan. Keep us posted with your progress and throw up some pictures too.

I'm in the middle of building my bog as we speak...weather permitting! Oh, and my (old) body permitting!

I dug down a bit and also buildup the sides with boulders and packed some soil against them. My pump has an 1-1/2" output. I increased the bog manifolds to 2". I'm adding the gravel now. The bog is about 14 feet by 5 feet and I'll have about 12" of gravel with an additional 4" height above that for any expansion that may occur. I already did 2 cu. yards of gravel and it looks like I need a lot more! I have to watch the weight in my truck bed, so I'm only transporting one yard at a time. The gravel is a little more pricey than I thought at $45 a yard.
20200425_114811.jpg
20200428_140727.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For river jack 45 a yard is not bad at all for here in wonderful not so wonderful we give newbies freebies ct

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
2X12 OVER 6 FEET WITH NO SUPPORT WILL BOW IF IT'S TRYING TO HOLD BACK WATER AND GRAVEL ONE EASY WAY TO STOP IT IS TO PLACE STRONG BACKS AND IT WILL MAKE IT EASIER TO MOUNT TO THE CONCRETE. Use a 2x4 on the flat secure it to your 2x12 on the bottom eather way works where you can screw the end of the 2x4 to the 2x12 or the end of the 2x12 to the side of the 2x4.
also make sure you leave a good 4 to 6 inches higher then your water level or the bog when it starts to back up and dead plants in the winter will draw water over the edge . youll want to do the strong backs to the top and bottom of the 2x12

GBBUDD, Thank's for the reply,
Point taken, but at 6' X 6' X 16" I believe it will be OK
If not I will deal with it

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow that was a fast change from bog to deck! Looks very nice tho and a great place to sit and view the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice! I like the nautical decor surrounding your pond. Those posts with the rope look great. What are those posts made of?
Those are pieces of old telephone pole, and they are not buried in the ground, I drilled a hole up the center, drove a pipe into the ground
and set the post over the pipe, that way they can be moved for access to the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I built a raised bog using retaining wall block set on cinder blocks. This bog is still in "draft" form and I will probably rebuild and modify it next winter. I haven't glued anything yet - just a dry fit. One problem I am having is that the earthen base on the side of the pond isn't great for supporting weight and is starting to sag after about 3 months. When I rebuild, I am probably going to use a long, pressure treated 6x6 post, on its side, as a base. My bog is relatively small and I supported the inside with wood, between the wall and the liner. I can't comment on the effectiveness of the filter since it hasn't gone through a season yet, but I do like the way it looks.
unnamed.jpg
unnamed2.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nice! I like the nautical decor surrounding your pond. Those posts with the rope look great. What are those posts made of?
I was thinking the same thing! It also makes for a good place to support netting.

@Chucker's 50 Sorry about your bog, but that is quite nice! Maybe you can still pull off a bog — there are so many creative ideas! I know, find a fiberglass boat hull and turn it into a bog!

Ask a Question