Looking for reliable on-line pond plant suppliers

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm also surprised to see that Home Depot sells pond plants online - and those look like they are in great shape!

I'll admit I'm not a fan of buying nursery plants from the big box stores - I like to support the local places in the hopes that the big guys won't someday be our only choice - but if you don't have any local stores, this is a great option!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Tara You ordered pond plants from HD? I didn’t know they sold them like that! Those look nice and healthy. What did you get?
Here is a list plus star sedge

Attachments

• 20180627_173827.jpg
    20180627_173827.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 198
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
No problem. One iris is a little small bit seems to be ok. The other one is bursting its pot.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks everyone! I'm going to try a few (inexpensive) items from Tricker's and see how it goes.

I placed my order with Trickers Sunday, they processed it first thing Monday, and I received it today (Wednesday). Everything arrived alive but the specimens are really small and not much care was taken in packing them. But, I did get those couple of hard-to-get items and I think with a little TLC I should be able to salvage them and make them thrive.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Everything arrived alive but the specimens are really small and not much care was taken in packing them

This was one of the places I've ordered from and I had the same experience - the plants survived, but didn't do much for me the first year. I think I'm spoiled by having so many other options within driving distance though, so for people who need an online alternative, I think they do a good job.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This was one of the places I've ordered from and I had the same experience - the plants survived, but didn't do much for me the first year. I think I'm spoiled by having so many other options within driving distance though, so for people who need an online alternative, I think they do a good job.

@Lisak1 , how far south do you get and what are your favorite places in the area? I get most of my plants at Aquascape and sometimes Wannamakers in Downers Grove. I have not been out to Lurvey's yet this season.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Lisak1 , how far south do you get and what are your favorite places in the area? I get most of my plants at Aquascape and sometimes Wannamakers in Downers Grove. I have not been out to Lurvey's yet this season.

We've bought a lot from Aquascape, especially at the big sale in May. Lurveys is a favorite source. We also have a few local places nearby that we have gotten plants from. Never been to Wannamakers - I'll have to put it on my list of places to try!

Someone here recommended a place in Wisconsin a few years back - Windy Oaks Aquatics in Eagle. We took a nice drive up there on a lovely summer day - very interesting place. Lots of pond plants and gorgeous lilies, but basically a two woman show it appeared to us. Most everything was growing in "greenhouses" (pond houses? - green houses with liner ponds filled with water). Things were a bit overgrown and rundown, but you could tell they knew their plants. If I ever get a hankering for a tropical lily, that's where I'll go. They had some gorgeous ones!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well the Forget-Me-Nots were pretty scrawny when they arrived, but poked them into the gravel and they started blooming in a day.
FMN.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
did not know hd did that either interesting and wonder if lowes does it also

Ask a Question