Lost fish 3 months into hibernation

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I’m sorry about your fish Mermaid Tracy. I am very attached to my goldfish too. I agree with the others that it was probably a water chemistry issue, pH, nitrate, ammonia, O2. Now that the fish are gone, there is no way to tell. When you get fish again, I suggest you get a pond chemistry kit and use it routinely. Were you feeding the fish? If the water was cold and the food decayed or the fish couldn’t digest it, that could have been a contributing factor as well. Your pond is so pretty!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank u. I never fed my fish in winter. They didn't receive any food when Temps went below 50° as recommended

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Sorry about your fish. I'm in New Jersey and although my pond is bigger than yours I once had the exact same thing happen to me. I do turn my filter off and add a de-icer. I think my fish had grown too large combined with a lot of dead leaves on the bottom that I didn't skim out. I think it was mostly the dead leaves. maybe buy a nitrate test kit and see if they are very high. Mine were very high.

I will try and answer all your questions. I have a 6 ft by 3 ft and 24 inches deep approx 225 gal maybe more. I have an oase filtration system with a waterfall. I had a total of 5 fish that I've had for almost 4 years. I got them small and they were about 10 inches long except for the goldfish who was smaller. They all perished within 2 months of each other one by one not all at once. I live in nj but this winter has been mild compared to blizzards they have all been thru. I do keep a deicer in during winter. I had many lilies this summer and kept them manageable. I did however leave them in this year until they died which is the only thing I have ever done differently. Water has always been clear and I have a healthy eco system with apple snails and frogs. I do not feed them in winter as it's not suggested below 50°. I feed them spring/fall mix in fall and spring and summer food in warm months. No runoff is getting in pond. I can't figure it out aside from either a parasite/infection or dissolved oxygen issue

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
There are some really good answers "that" might of happened to your fish. (sorry for your loss) Water chemistry is a bit complex in the beginning, you don't have to be a chemist to understand whats going on with it. many here who have responded to your post I look up to as they have been through it before and figured it out, but without seeing you pond and doing a complete water test we can only guess what went on. so many variables to pin point exactly.
this is a long read and I have not found anyone else to explain water chemistry better. I have no affiliation to this site but I think its a good read and will help you help yourself without breaking the bank.

Please keep us posted on your findings
good luck.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
There are some really good answers "that" might of happened to your fish. (sorry for your loss) Water chemistry is a bit complex in the beginning, you don't have to be a chemist to understand whats going on with it. many here who have responded to your post I look up to as they have been through it before and figured it out, but without seeing you pond and doing a complete water test we can only guess what went on. so many variables to pin point exactly.
this is a long read and I have not found anyone else to explain water chemistry better. I have no affiliation to this site but I think its a good read and will help you help yourself without breaking the bank.

Please keep us posted on your findings
good luck.
Excellent article. The ABC's of water chemistry. I added to my favorites for quick future reference.:)

Ask a Question