Lots of eggs

Reaction score
So have prob over 500 fry in the clean water tanks & there doing fine. Also the fry in the original tank with the old mop head & moldy eggs are alive & well, at least 1000.
I've been doing a 50% water change every day, I know someone thought that was a lot but i'm using good clean established pond water, plus thats where the water was from to begin with, so I didnt see the harm.
Seems to be doing them well anyway.
I guess I'll take the mop head out tonight, & try to remove some of the moldy clusters of unhatched eggs.

Reaction score
I have a large number of fry, in dirty/milky water.
The airstone sponge filter is just not cleaning it up.
I'm wondering how much water movement the little guys can handle?
I'd like to put a tiny pump wrapped in filter cloth in, & see if I can clear up the water.
Any suggestions? Can the deal with a little water movement?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I just had my Showa spawn
I'm going to to make a screen cage around my pump real soon

Reaction score
I have never had any fry survive in my aquariums, but I have been to someone's house who breeds Angel Fish and he used this type of filter.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    4.9 KB · Views: 351

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Farken said:
You have just air stones now?
Are you feeding brine shrimp, or powdered up fish food?
Right now I have a small 600 GPh pump running , no air
I plan on running it with a screen cage around it.

Reaction score
tazcat70 said:
I have never had any fry survive in my aquariums, but I have been to someone's house who breeds Angel Fish and he used this type of filter.
Thanks Tazcat,
Thats the style i'm using, maybe I'll grab another one & run two.

DrCase said:
Right now I have a small 600 GPh pump running , no air
I plan on running it with a screen cage around it.

Hello DrCase, you must have yours "in the pond"?
I've got these guys in a 65gal tank filled with 6" of water.
If i run to much of a pump they'll be sucked up in no time.

Reaction score
The fry are aready over a 1/4" long, they seem to have what looks like a small bubble in them, not sure is that there belly or?
Continue to do segnificant water changes every day, the water is now much clearer & no longer stinks!
The only problem i'm having is with the brine shrimp, I seem to be having a low hatch rate, & then its hard to seperate the shrimp from the unhatched eggs. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
So just a little update...
I'm not sure how many young i have but prob close to 1000 or more, they seem to be doing well.
They are eating well, when i feed them baby brine shrimp, there bellies balloon up & turn orange. Its quite funny.
I have the water cleaned up, just with water changes & 2 sponge filters running.
I added some horn wart for them to swim around & pic away at.
Not quite sure what I'm doing but so far so good.

Reaction score
Will be looking forward to pictures. I made tons of mistakes last year with the one spawn we hatched out. We did great (beginners luck) for about the first 2 weeks. The two problems I had were filter related (you have that covered) and UNDER feeding. I *thought* I was feeding tons of food.

A huge mistake I made, almost forgot to mention, watch the plants you give them. I took plants (water hyacinths and parrots feather) from the outside ponds, and brought them in the house. I thought I was giving them something to hide in, as well as something to snack on ... great in theory ... except I brought in dragonfly nympths by accident too ... that screw up resulted in a huge loss.

Reaction score
So I'm not sure if anyone can relate... but I'm one of these people who go a little overboard on..... well everything I do! lol
So of course I have lots of old tanks & air pumps laying around, I now have 4 seperate tanks running with a few hundred fry in each, & the original hatch out tank with tons of them in it. My theory being if one tank goes bad, I wont lose them all @ once. (It will be a longer drawn out process! lol)

Funny thing when i pulled the mop head out of the hatch tank (all covered in moldy unhatched eggs), I swished it around it a large stock tank that i winter some of the koi in. There are lots of fry in that tank that seem to be doing just as well as the ones I'm spoon feeding. They have no filter, no air, no heater, no food... Funny eh?

capewind said:
Will be looking forward to pictures. I made tons of mistakes last year with the one spawn we hatched out. We did great (beginners luck) for about the first 2 weeks. The two problems I had were filter related (you have that covered) and UNDER feeding. I *thought* I was feeding tons of food.

A huge mistake I made, almost forgot to mention, watch the plants you give them. I took plants (water hyacinths and parrots feather) from the outside ponds, and brought them in the house. I thought I was giving them something to hide in, as well as something to snack on ... great in theory ... except I brought in dragonfly nympths by accident too ... that screw up resulted in a huge loss.
I havent seen any dragonfly nympths, just misquito larvae, dont think thay hurt anthing do they?
I will try & take some pic's & figure out how to post. Its hard with tiny baby fish & dirty aquarium glass.
I think some of them are looking sort of yellow while others are still a clear/grey colour, i suppose it will be weeks before I see there actual colours. Definatly can spot some with body defects already.

Reaction score
Im only guessing, but thinking in time, it may present an issue to not at least have an airline in that one tank. Most of the sites I read said nothing about filters, but the did mention air.

Nearly all of our fry from the eggs collected were yellow for quite awhile. There were a few blackish looking ones, but not many, and none of those made it (back to my filter and DF nympths) ... and several were eaten too since I wasnt feeding enough ...

Reaction score
DrCase said:
defects are the first ones to cull out
Yes, of course, but they are to small to sort just yet.

capewind said:
Im only guessing, but thinking in time, it may present an issue to not at least have an airline in that one tank. Most of the sites I read said nothing about filters, but the did mention air.

Nearly all of our fry from the eggs collected were yellow for quite awhile. There were a few blackish looking ones, but not many, and none of those made it (back to my filter and DF nympths) ... and several were eaten too since I wasnt feeding enough ...
I dropped a airstone in it the other day, started feeding them also.
Not sure if I attached these pics correctly or not? If I did, I'm sorry about the quality. lol

may 2013 024.JPGmay 2013 025.JPGmay 2013 026.JPG

Reaction score
Pictures posted fine:) Dont appologize for the quality ... it is near impossible to get good tank pictures ... but I would say you have LOTS of babies LOL.

Ask a Question