Lotus plant?

Reaction score
How do your set up for lotus plant in pond? What do your put it in? Do your add sand or rock?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have mine in kitty litter clay, a stable pot, the large ones get tall and can blow over.

Mine are in a separate rubbermaid container, 300 gallons, each lotus is in one of those buckets you can get at wally world, the ones with the rope handles. Kitty litter around 10 inches deep.

This is earlier in the season, they are a lot bigger now

DSC01629.jpg

Reaction score
Unscented nonclumping kitty litter. 100% natural clay with no additives. Basically the cheapest type of kitty litter.

Reaction score
Thanks!! I'd got some lotus plant yesterday,it was in one of those plastic plant container with mud clay in it and i drop it the pond. thinking it would be okay. This morning my pond water turn muddy rust clay color. Bad thing to do..

Reaction score
Got no luck with it.. Each day i see plant part flowing around. Fish nibble on leave,stem,root anything they can get too. Now got a pot of clay sitting on the bottom of the pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Darn hqjohn, sorry they ate it. My fish leave all my plants alone, no koi

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
John you have fish nibbling on yours, but I have raccoon digging what is left of the seed out and destroying the whole thing. They only get about 4 inches tall, just tall enough to reach the water surface and the little B!@#$%$s dig them up. Need to move away from the edge of the pond.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
taherrmann4 said:
John you have fish nibbling on yours, but I have raccoon digging what is left of the seed out and destroying the whole thing. They only get about 4 inches tall, just tall enough to reach the water surface and the little B!@#$%$s dig them up. Need to move away from the edge of the pond.

Have you tried raising one in a tub of water by itself? I found some planter pots at Lowes for $10 each, one has my seedling lotus and a couple of small taro's, one has a Hardy Lily and some water lettuce, one has a night bloomer and a young Thalia and one, has a day tropical and a young Papyrus. About 25-30 gallons of water in each one, I'm just experminting to see which lily does best for the smaller water garden and using them for grow outs at the same time. So far the raccoon hasn't messed with them here. He keeps coming to the pond but gets run off when the siren goes off and he can't get through the wire, or at least hasn't yet.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Fishin I am doing both. Have some in the pond and have some planted in a pot, they have gotten both. So I took a wire chicken fence and put it in my pot with new seeds. We will see.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are in a non water moving 300 gallon stock tank. They so far are doing great.

Ask a Question