Lotus plant?

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
I bought a lotus plant the two summers ago and dropped the whole bucket into the water. My pond gets limited sun.. about two hours of full and the rest dappled. I have not removed the lotus for two wild and crazy and harsh winters, and it has come through fine. It sits about 2" below the surface and blooms and grows like crazy. I put three large plant sticks in it in the spring, cuz they are supposed to need a lot of nutrition. The blooms don't last long, but they are beautiful. FINALLY, only this week, I have two water lily buds. Don't know why they are so late this year, but the lotus has bloomed since mid June. The pickerel is budding up for round two and so I should have purple and two shades of pink going at the same time.. Love that!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great! This will be my first winter with the lotus, they get to stay outside. I have read as long as the tuber does not freeze they will be fine and they are the hardy variety.

Glad your lily is getting ready to bloom

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Really nice Joanie, it's nice to have something blooming all the time.............wish they would continue through winter. Guess I'd have to move to the Southlands for that to happen.
So if you keep a hardy lotus below the freeze line in your pond you can actually keep it out there all winter? Did not know this.........guess I haven't been paying attention if someone posted this info before

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep jw as long as the tuber is below freeze line it will do fine, if it is a hardy

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well shut my mouth..........................I know that's hard for me to do sometimes :yellowbounce:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well shut my mouth..........................I know that's hard for me to do sometimes :yellowbounce:

lmao jw! If you want to try them, I will most likely have some spare tubers when I groom them for winter, or in the spring.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You know I would surely love that if you have any to spare. Thank you addy
reallypar.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I just started some lotus seeds in a small glass container next to my pond. Can someone recommend at what point I should transfer them to kitty litter?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Dear Friend,
You can see my store directions,which contains how to plant Lotus with picture.
http://www.aliexpres...e-Shipping.html
If you have any questions,please don't hesitate to contact me.
---alex
Please post a introduction, I'm going to leave the link alone as it does have some good information but really you need to ask the administrator before posting a link to your store.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I'm a little confused, and will keep this info for next year, I assume. Is lotus found as a plant, or seeds, or what? I have never seen any around here, or not that I remember. Is it maybe not hardy in my Zone 5? Which, if it's not hardy, that's fine as I have a lot of plants that are not hardy, that will come into the garage, or basement with lights, or something! If they can overwinter either places, I would love to get some next year, but wondering if maybe I didn't get them soon enough (my pond was not filled until late May) or if they were just not available in my area. Thanks!

Ask a Question