Melamine foam or Diatamaceous earth in the filter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So, just to update...

I bought the melamine foam, and after much back and forth with the supplier, they swore that it's just foam with no chemicals. So, I gave it a shot, placing 2 pads between the heavy micron pad and the low micron pad in my filter. This didn't complete block the passage, it really just let the water flow around them.

The same day, I pulled out a ton of excess Parrot's Feather that had old leaves and vegetation in the roots.

It's been about a week, and the water actually looks pretty clear right now! I can see to the bottom (which now I see has a ton of dead leaves) and have watched several fish swimming around :-D

But I made a mistake in taking out so much Parrot's Feather at the same time, because now I can't honestly say whether it cleared up because of the melamine or because of the plant removal.

It's raining today (and supposed to continue all week), but I'll get a picture for you guys next chance I get.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I’m just new to ponds but was keeping a 600 gallon salt water tank up till about 2 months ago. I struggled to keep my water crystal clear until I added a diatom filter. It’s a filter that is made to contain Diatomaceous earth and uses it to filter the water. It will polish water like nothing else. I recently set up a 12x4x3 outside aquarium with trout and was just using a pool sand filter but couldn’t get water super clear till I put the D.E. Filter on. Well my tank sprung a leak so I had to drain it but once I’m running again I’ll post some pics.

Reaction score
Since DE is used in a swimming pool filter I'm guessing that it would be safe for fish. But as pointed out a pond is not a swimming pool. A two-gallon filter for a 1000 gallon pond is the first issue to resolve. How you build your filter will determine how clear your pond stays.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think DE would be perfectly safe to use as a filter material - it's safe for human consumption (if you get food grade). I think the challenge will be finding a way to keep it IN the filter - putting it between filter pads would be useless. I also think it would clog easily if you used the DE filter designed for pools - ponds have lots of floating debris that hopefully wouldn't be in a swimming pool!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I was thinking about buying a pack of panty hose, pouring some DE in it, then sitting that between the filter pads. I wouldn't want to completely block the filter for fear of burning up the pump, but if the water flow is slowed enough by the second micron pad that most of it at least hits the DE... maybe?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I promised pics yesterday... these were taken early this afternoon. Now you can see all the way to the bottom of the pond! But I don't know whether to credit the melamine or the removal of the Parrot's Feather.

Attachments

• 20190619_131527.jpg
    20190619_131527.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 20190619_131532.jpg
    20190619_131532.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 88
Reaction score
I think DE would be perfectly safe to use as a filter material - it's safe for human consumption (if you get food grade). I think the challenge will be finding a way to keep it IN the filter - putting it between filter pads would be useless. I also think it would clog easily if you used the DE filter designed for pools - ponds have lots of floating debris that hopefully wouldn't be in a swimming pool!
Correct, in a swimming pool filter the pads are extremely fine and even they clog up with the little impurities in a swimming pool.

Ask a Question