Metal Ponds -seal or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon
Have a very large metal lily pond [approx 4 feet across], its been over wintering and i am getting ready to plant in spring. Any advice on whether to seal it first as concerned the rust water could be damaging/high ph etc? Was only going to use for water lily plants, would like to keep the rusty platina look thats developed - is there a clear coat sealer available??
Or shall i just leave it to nature??
Thank you

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'd say if you have no plan to introduce fish, you're fine with the galvanized metal. If this is similar to the "cow troughs" that used to be used in farms across the midwest, it should last for years with no need to seal or coat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the speedy reply
The pond is steel so will rust which is my concern?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1644173354432.gif
@ashwatts
Since it's steel and not for fish maybe there is a sealant that might help last longer. Like a rubber sealant perhaps? If you use a rubber liner you would have to somehow hide the flap edge that hangs over the side or perhaps cut it right to the top and glue it to the top side edge. Liner does not lie flat against the side tho so many folds to deal with.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forum.

Please post a photo. I am curious as to the thickness of the steel and the amount of rust.
Even applying a sealant effectively to a rusty surface might be challenging.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
If it is the standard galvanized water troughs you should be fine, some report problems with fish due to zinc, but in my time owning one I never had that issue. ( and you aren’t going to have fish )

If you are concerned about rusting there is stuff called pond armor that you could seal it with, but I think photos would help to guide you further.

Ask a Question