Michaels dry lotus flower seeds

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I had mine soaking in water for one week and the seed becomes so mushy that it fell apart when I was trying to plant them into the pots, so we will see if they make it or not..

Reaction score
KennethO, a couple I have are starting to send out more shoots. I tried to push it down into the pot because it was pushing itself out and finally put a small rock on top to keep it down. It has gotten a second shoot and it pushed itself out again. I need to get bigger pots.

Reaction score
So far only that one I took a picture of popped out. I tried to push it down too, but it just came out. So I just left it. The others are doing great tho. Most have 1-2 leaves in the air now. I'll toss some pictures up tomorrow. I have noticed that the older floating leaves slowly died off as it got the upright leaves started.

Reaction score
Older leaves are turning yellow and dying. None of mine are in the air they are all floating and still fragile. The leaf head break off easily so I surrounded them with hyacinth to help keep the fish away. The fish don't eat them they just swim through them hard enough to break off leaves.

Reaction score
Alright here's some more.

The ones in the shade in the pond. A bit smaller in leaf size but just as far along. All have leaves up in the air.
Picture116.jpg

Picture115.jpg

Ones from in the sun. A little bigger.
Picture112.jpg

Picture113.jpg

And the old leaves.
Picture114.jpg

Picked up a small preformed pond on CL for 15 bucks. Like 3x4, but had a small hole in it. Tossed some silicone sealer on it and waiting for it to dry. Hoping tomorrow it will be good enough to fill. Was thinking of just filling it about 8 inches deep with dirt or litter and tossing all the ones in small pots in there. And just let them grow freely.

Edit: Err how do you resize now. Used to the auto resizing. Sorry for the large pics.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your large pics are nice, like not needing to click to see them better.

Your lotus look great! growing nicely. My lotus leaves do the same, some grow some rot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, thanks to KennethO for all your pictures and dialog and to Addy for posting the detailed directions! I am excited to start my own Lotus plants next spring. I know it's getting to the end of the season for most, but if anyone has a few seeds they would part with, I'd be happy to pay postage. I don't need the pods, as I know most like to keep them for decorating. And, just 2-5 seeds would be great. Otherwise, I'll be making a trip to Michaels to buy some pods. I think I saw some at Wal-Mart the other day, in with other dried flowers. I'll be happy to share any pods in a couple of years myself. This thread has made it like watching someone's litter of puppies or kittens grow up ... without the poop! LOL

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Watch Ebay, You can find some really neat colored ones that are identified. I want to still try a blue lotus.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
While out golfing last night there is a hole that is right next to a pond that had hundreds and hundreds of lotus plants. Don't know the color of them but I picked up a few, unfortunately I could only grab a few without wading into the pond and I ran out of time as I had to tee off. Might go back to the lake with my kayak and grab some if I do I will send you some country but I have no idea of the color.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, thanks, Todd! I'd love to have them, no matter the color. And, to save in shipping, all I'm interested in are the seeds, so if you like to keep the pods for decorating, by all means do so! Those will likely be very hardy, if they are growing wild.

Ask a Question