Michaels dry lotus flower seeds

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
My wife did the same thing. When she saw I was going to break them to get at the seeds, she took over. They are now in a flower arrangement. This 5 days after placing it in the glass.

Attachments

• 5 Days.jpg
    5 Days.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 314
Reaction score
I use normal white paper from your printer. Does the same as the lily pad and decomposes over time. I used a sharp knife to take the seeds out too lol. Didn't want to ruin the pod, now in a flower arrangement too.

Reaction score
Well, we paid money for them, might as well get as much from them as possible. The pods do look nice in arrangements.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Has anyone just tried putting the seed in a pot in the pond without starting it in a glass of water first?

And do we know if these seeds are hardy?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
taherrmann4 said:
Has anyone just tried putting the seed in a pot in the pond without starting it in a glass of water first?

And do we know if these seeds are hardy?

No clue if the are hardy or what kind they are tahermann, you are taking a wild guess. I ordered some hardy seeds, cheap on ebay, like 99 cents, just have not gotten around to doing anything with them, except one, it is growing

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The lady at the pond store says she uses a rooting hormone when the roots sprout .But she said the pods should be broke off the seed or they can die from lack of space for the roots grow

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
sissy said:
The lady at the pond store says she uses a rooting hormone when the roots sprout .But she said the pods should be broke off the seed or they can die from lack of space for the roots grow

Has anyone experienced this. Mine is almost 2" tall after only 6 days.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I went to Michaels to get some dried lotus flowers and the ones they had did not have many seeds. My wife suggested Hobby Lobby and they were selling them in packs of 5 for 6.99, $2 more than Michaels but they were loaded with seeds. I was able to get 37 seeds from the flowers. I dropped them in water and we will see what happens.

Reaction score
Day 4. All 15 have sprouted.
The 2nd steam/leaf has popped out and you can see the 3rd on the way.
Picture031.jpg

3 inches and going. Will be 4 by tonight I'm sure.
Picture033.jpg

As for being hardy. I can't find a site that says which are what. Most say they are hardy as long as they don't freeze. So you place them in the bottom of the pond like other marginals I think and your set. Or at least dig up the tuber and bring it in for the winter, like a tropical lily. We'll see.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just got off the phone with the pond lady here and she said she soaks them after she gets the hard shell off .Top growth to her is not as important as root growth in the first year .Not sure since the ones I have are grown .She grows them to sell .She owns a pond and garden center and has a big place with an indoor pond that goes through the concrete wall to an outside waterfall .great place to see

Reaction score
She takes the whole shell off? Did she say how she does that? I just used a dremel to cut a small whole through the shell

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
she said she soaks them and then starts chipping away at the shell or uses the dremel with a cutting wheel and a pair of sturdy pliers to hold it .I have not tried it yet but thing of stopping there monday to see about getting them .She even says she uses a nut cracker too .

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Remember that every seed that sprouts needs a 3-5 gallon container to be transplanted into. So soaking all your seeds at once is not good unless you are prepared with enough containers.

The seeds are viable for a long time so I suggest sandbagging a few.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
sissy said:
she said she soaks them and then starts chipping away at the shell or uses the dremel with a cutting wheel and a pair of sturdy pliers to hold it .I have not tried it yet but thing of stopping there monday to see about getting them .She even says she uses a nut cracker too .

Mine were soaking for several hours and when I picked one out the shell comes off pretty easy.

Dr Dave I only put 10 seeds in, it looked like two different colors of seed so maybe two different plants? Anyway I have 5 of each.

Ask a Question