Michaels dry lotus flower seeds

Reaction score
I put mine in a 1 gal milk jug with the top cut off. I placed it outside on the deck table. The table is shaded by an umbrella that's like shade cloth. Let's sun in, but keeps the heat down.

In full sun that small jug was getting extremely hot.

Reaction score
Mine had been in the house but decided to move them outside. I removed the hard shell from a couple and partial from others. One I found this morning was white and mushy so I threw it out. I put them outside and went to a movie. Just got back and 4 are starting to open and another was mushy, it got thrown out too.

They did get hot so I changed the water and put them in a more shaded area.

I wonder what kind of lotus is so mass produced that they use the pods and seeds for flower decorations?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
There is a lake around me that has a ton of them, they are actually taking over the back part of the lake where it is shallow. I tried getting seeds from them a few years back but nothing happened. I think I should have let them dry over the winter and then tried. If I get out there this summer I think I will try again.

Reaction score
I didn't remove the shell because bacteria will try to eat the inside nut meat. That's why the water turns cloudy and they get mushy I think.

As for Harvesting. I read somewhere that they have to dry out completely while still on the plant to fully mature.

And I'm sure it is a fast growing type for harvesting. Of course it is most likely a large variety since the pods are real big.

Reaction score
The two that got mushy still had shell on them. How long once they start to germinate can you plant them? I am leaving for several days Tuesday and wonder if I should plant them or leave the in water. I have someone that can change the water.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I went out and looked at the oil drain pans today. I didn't buy any because I'm not sure how they are used or are a good choice. If someone has photos of the transplanting and use, i would like to see them.
They are very shallow and the ones that are less than $3 are open pans.

Reaction score
I waited till the sprouts were about 4 inches long. The depth at which they will be in the pond. Mine are already in the pond. Didn't take any pictures because there isn't anything worth showing. It's just sticking the seed in a pot with dirt and tossing it in the pond lol.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This morning I have 2 sprouting and one that looks like it is going to be by the end of today. So far the only ones that sprouted are the ones where I have taken off the entire outer shell or half of it. I am changing the water two times a day.

Attachments

• P1020970.jpg
    P1020970.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 295
  • P1020971.jpg
    P1020971.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 262

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So 9 out of my 10 have sprouted this morning. 2 of them were floating in the cup of water , anyone else have floating ones? Will be transferring them to a larger container and looking for a permanent one to put in the pond. Couple of questions how deep once they go into the pond has everyone been putting them? I know folks have said oil pan containers, but do they need to be deeper for more dirt?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'm going to use oil pan for the first season then transplant to a larger pot next spring. From what I'm reading it seems the 1"-6" is the optimal depth to place pots below the surface. Mine now is set at 4" and is growing like crazy. putting up a leaf every other day now.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I did not put the lotus in oil pans, to easy to blow over in our winds. Mine are in a 300 gallon stock tank, each lotus is in a walmart bucket, the ones with the rope handles, top of tuber a foot plus below water, blooming and growing great.

Reaction score
KennethO, how deep did you plant the seeds. I have the problem of my fish like to dig in new pots and would have to put rocks around them to keep the fish out.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I went to 5 different autparts stores today. The disposable oil pans prices vary from $5.49 to $7.99 for the same pan. All the stores with the lowest price ones were out of stock.

So sand, in an oil pan at 4" depth in the water covering the top of the pan right? My first seedling is ready, now to find a pan...

Ask a Question