Michaels dry lotus flower seeds

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
this has been interesting watching and growing one myself like this, hard to believe they can be grown so easily and yet cost $50-$60 potted and the plant nurseries.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I am hoping I can find inexpensive containers to put them in for resale. I think they would sell fast at the right price. % gallon buckets are a little cheezy but Home Depot does have a nice Orange one.

Reaction score
If you want a cheap pot. Look at O'reilly or Advance auto. 2.99 for an oil drain pan. They are about 3-5gal I would say. Just wash it a bit in case there is any residue from manufacturing.

I did a few in dirt, clay and a mix of both to see how they do. 6 in the pond now, and 9 in smaller pots in a large tub full of water.

At like 30 cents a seed I don't care if I waste any. Rather start a bunch and throw out what you don't need then do too few and have to start more. Plus I sell to some local nurseries and they would snatch them up. Even if I sold them for 15$ to move them out fast. They can easily sell them at a profit as assorted lotus.

I really have no major time or money invested besides a 2 dollar pot and maybe 15 minutes to pot them. After that they just sit in the pond till they go to a home.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Acadamy sports has the same thing for $1.99 each Just picked up six a few minutes ago.

Reaction score
You can get cheap cat litter boxes at the dollar store. But do they have oil pans too? The cat pan is better for a lily I think since they are lateral growers and not spiral growers like lotus. Post if you find one.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I get my oil pans from walmart, they have cheap cat pans too

Reaction score
:grumble:I am impatient, my seeds have not done anything yet. Tonight will be 24 hours. :regular_waving_emot

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here are my lotus seeds, I took the outer shell off some of the seeds and partially on some others then I left the other with just little exposed. I am soaking them in pond water and changing every 12 hours, they have only been in the water for about 18 hours.

Attachments

• P1020927.jpg
    P1020927.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 332
  • P1020925.jpg
    P1020925.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 270

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I just changed the water on both my sprout and the 2 new seeds that I started yesterday.
I am using pond water now, before I was using filtered city water.
The sprout is about 4".

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
taherrmann4 said:
DrDave do you keep yours outside? In sun or shade?

3 days after the first one sprouted, I moved it outdoors. I actually started inside our home, then moved it to my workshop that gets very hot during the day, then outside. The 2 fresh seeds are going to be outside in a tall drinking glass.
To me, this is an experiment, another reason why I am doing 2 at a time. Thats my R&D background training motivating me to experiment.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I put mine in a clear water bottle, took some pond water and warmed it to about 120degrees F, took it outside dropped the seed in and left it sitting in the direct sun, changed the water out about every other day with fresh pond water when it started getting slightly milky looking, By day 8 I had to plant it, the leaves were to the top and when I opened the bottle cap the leaf came out of the bottle within a hour. I'm at week 3 and the first leaf (leaf #6) is above the water surface so I added 1/4 teaspoon of miracle grow this morning.

Ask a Question