Mid-winter water test

Reaction score
Country
United States
I haven't done much to my pond over the past 3 months with the cold weather except adding some aquascape beneficial bacteria every week. When we get a lot of rain the pond has a tendency to fill up too high so I'll throw a pump in there and take out some water. I haven't added water myself with the exception of rain. I've left my waterfall and Fountain running non-stop and the pond is clear with visible bacterial growth on the liner.

Today's water test
PH 7.8
AMN .5
NI 0
NA 0

All 23 of my goldfish are still live and well. I don't like the high ammonia so I'm doing a water change now. But I'm curious as to why the nitrates have dropped to zero when several months ago they were between 20 and 40? Anything to worry about?

Reaction score
Country
United States
nothing to worry about. its good.....my guess is thats the filter is now cycling .. remember most city water contains ammonia . just a word of warning on dropping water in a pond with a liner, if its is dropped low .. and you get a fierce rain storm it can get behind the liner and cause a blow out of a wall. hope this helps mike

Ask a Question