Moved babies outside at last

Reaction score
dieselplower said:
Omg I am green with envy. I love the orange and yellow ones with the black "armor".
Do you mean like the two black and yellow fish like in this picture? If so, they are just Doitsu Matsuba ... If you can set up a baby area, you can get babies off of ebay late fall dirt cheap. I bought a few auctions of 1-3" standard fin, and 2-4" butterflies the end of Nov (came the first week of Dec) ... They grew slow being inside, BUT I do need to say even though I have purchased from this seller multi times, once our water warmed we discovered they came with anchor worms ... Since they were in QT the entire time, there's no doubting where the anchor worms came from. Only saw a couple actual anchor worms and treatment was cheap and easy.

Reaction score
campingcreecher said:
I love the asagi, almost came home with one of those this past weekend. What were the parents. Love your variety.
Hubby has the asagi's on his keep list ... We cant take credit for breeding any of these guys, bought them as group auctions on ebay:) We cant get any type of variety locally, and if you can find something nice, it is really pricey, so bought a bunch of babies for short money and overwintered them in our QT pond in the basement.

Reaction score
bettasngoldfish said:
Love your babies, especially the calico one with the red cap. Reminds me of a calico oranda ♡
I got all but two of the babies as part of groups ... the two sanke I won in seperate auctions for $2 each ... I was siked ... the one you like was listed as a taisho sanke (I'm trying to learn all the color names LOL.) I want to keep the one you like. Hubby had some choice words for MY FISH when he was catching them to move them LOL. Apparently this one has supernatural brains LOL.

Reaction score
I like sanke's in general but another reason I want to keep this one is to simply watch/learn more about color development.

Here's a picture of when (s)he arrived here, verses one from yesterday.

Reaction score
capewind said:
Do you mean like the two black and yellow fish like in this picture? If so, they are just Doitsu Matsuba ... If you can set up a baby area, you can get babies off of ebay late fall dirt cheap. I bought a few auctions of 1-3" standard fin, and 2-4" butterflies the end of Nov (came the first week of Dec) ... They grew slow being inside, BUT I do need to say even though I have purchased from this seller multi times, once our water warmed we discovered they came with anchor worms ... Since they were in QT the entire time, there's no doubting where the anchor worms came from. Only saw a couple actual anchor worms and treatment was cheap and easy.

Yes those! Actually any of the armore scale ones are so awesome!

Reaction score
Too bad you are not closer as I am not keeping either of those fish. Already have a few older fish that are the same or similar. I bought this guy last June as only his doitsu scales were black ... as he grew, his back is now black like the guys you like...

Reaction score
capewind said:
Too bad you are not closer as I am not keeping either of those fish. Already have a few older fish that are the same or similar. I bought this guy last June as only his doitsu scales were black ... as he grew, his back is now black like the guys you like...

Man that is a shame! A trip across country doesnt sound too awesome for the fish or my bank account haha

Reaction score
I said closer LOL ...

I find it amazing how drastically some can change colors. We had a bunch of pond spawn babies that we over wintered inside. We had a total of 7 who very much looked like the guys you like (with imperfections) and NOW, 6 of them look like my avatar picture. They are BLUE.

This was one of them about the first of the year. I didnt get pics when we moved them outside:-( As soon as the pond clears up, will try to get new pictures to show the contrast.

Reaction score
I finally came to the conclusion that if I am buying a small fish, I want to get them dirt cheap, as who knows what their color will do. Maybe if I was willing to pay for the high quality, their colors would be more stable from better breeding, but I am just looking for variety. On the otherhand, the fish you saw may have been off in color due to stress too. We have a few really pretty blue matsubas and an incorrect Ki Shusui (metallic) in the group, but when they went into the tote, they paled considerably. By the time I was taking pictures, they looked like totally different fish.

Ask a Question