I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Peg said:
Thanks DrDave... I have 6 fish in excess of 18 inches, then several about 12 or so... and a bunch of babies. I was thinking of lining my hubby's p/u truck cargo area and putting 2 feet of water in that...or buying a big tub but I have too many large fish for a tub. Will probably have to give away all but my biggest ones... I've had them since I first started ponding. The drive by car was about 14 hours and we drove straight through with short pit stops for food and bathroom breaks. Not sure if we are definitely moving or staying in NY... Not to mention about setting up a pond down there for them... Only came across one home with a pond when we went to check out the areas outside of Asheville.... Decisions, decisions, decisions......

Peg, what will you do w/ the fish if you do get them safely to N. Carolina? I have a friend who uses those big vinyl lined swimming pools to hold some of her fish in quarantine. She puts netting over to protect them from heron and throws in a filter to keep clean and an air pump for oxygen. Just a thought as you may not have the time to start digging a pond for awhile. The babies could be kept in a wading pool if you don't want them in w/ the biggies. I'd hate to see you having to get rid of all your fish :lol:

Peg

A Koi kid since 1999
Reaction score
Thank you everybody for the valuable information..... inverter it will be and will be looking for the largest cooler / chests when the time comes.... It makes me feel good to know that it IS possible to move them safely that distance... I won't have to leave my favorites behind if we do leave NY to move to NC.... Thanks again all of you!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Start looking for that Kiddie pool now. Stores stopped selling them as soon as summer was over. You might get lucky and find one but it is not going to be easy. 55 gallon barrels or livestock feed tanks may be your only option.

Ask a Question