muck question

SE18

David V
Reaction score
oh, the pictures posted, cool. Glad you like. I'm going to try to get plants growing in the water this summer. Maybe collect some from the local ponds or streams

here's more pictures. all the trains and tracks are scratchbuilt, nothing commercial purchased. scale is 1:13.7 on O gauge track, representing industrial 18" gauge for anyone familiar with this type of thing

I'll probably have a bunch more stupid water, plant and fish questions in future

Dave V

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D400

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh wow and love the cute beagle and malak if adopts you he gets me too a package deal 2 for 1 sale:lol::lol::lol:Thats an expensive hobby and takes a lot more work than just a pond .How big is your set up and how long have you been working on it .They actually have a forum for it also

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If they were stupid questions we would not be able to answer them .Well maybe malak can:regular_waving_emot:regular_waving_emot:lol::lol: joking

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
SE18 said:
oh, the pictures posted, cool. Glad you like. I'm going to try to get plants growing in the water this summer. Maybe collect some from the local ponds or streams

here's more pictures. all the trains and tracks are scratchbuilt, nothing commercial purchased. scale is 1:13.7 on O gauge track, representing industrial 18" gauge for anyone familiar with this type of thing

I'll probably have a bunch more stupid water, plant and fish questions in future

Dave V

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D400

Nice looking setup. After I built my pond and needed another hobby I started looking at putting in a garden railroad around my backyard. Still plan on doing just need to get more info on how to do it and what things you need. Do you know of a good forum for this hobby?

SE18

David V
Reaction score
Hi again,

Here's the forum for the trains: http://www.7-8ths.info/index.php

I just like combining trains with water (and beagles).

Some spend lots of money on trains but mine are basically made from throw away junk. The money is spent more on tools to make them. It's sort of a sub-sub hobby. There's only 1 other person here in Virginia who does it but forums connect us with folk around the world who do likewise

Anyway, I've got to figure out about what sort of plants I want, as the space is long, narrow and has swift current. But right now I'm in the middle of extending the aqueduct and hauling bags of 80 lb concrete. Probably I've used a couple hundred. Most of the canal uses the sandwich technique: concrete, liner, concrete. The aqueduct has no sandwiched liner. Instead, it is pure concrete with 2 coatings of Dry-loc and a slather of concrete over that. I ensured there was no leaks before applying the dry-loc. It's just for added security. Also, any leaks are easy to spot as you will see a telltale spot of moisture on the side or underneath

I get all sorts of birds visiting. I'm not a bird enthusiast so I don't know all of the types, but their chirping adds to the fun and the beagles enjoy chasing the birds around

oh, btw, I turn off the pump in the winter so the entire thing freezes over. Do you think any plants or fish would survive being turned into ice cubes? See I told you I've got dumb questions

SE18

David V
Reaction score
OK, so the dirt that goes into the pots under the water. Wouldn't the dirt just float out of the pot, carried away by the current? Also if the canal ices over completely, wouldn't the plant die. In the above photo of the red locomotive, you can see the canal is completely iced over

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze now your taking aim on me .Try it I'm faster :regular_waving_emotWill send the train for you and stuff you in it:lol:

Reaction score
I just had a clever idea for the leaves... put a side hinged screen in, that was counterweighted just enough that the flow of water holds it in place, and then when you need to clean it - turn off the flow for a minute. It pops out dumping most of the leaves and you turn the flow back on and use a stick to push up on the counterweight and putting it back into the current. Just a thought.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Oh your thinking about something like those gutter guards they sell .they now sell them in plastic too .It is just spring like on the new plastic ones

Ask a Question