sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep it was I loved Edgar Allen Poe books as a kid and still reread them sometimes when I get the chance good catch

Reaction score
He's one of my favs also. I have the complete collection. Not bad writing for a drunk! I've been in a bar that he supposedly visited. I'm not into "The Raven" though. Not a big poetry guy.

SE18

David V
Reaction score
thanks for the tips. I'm already thinking of gutter guards b/c of clogs I get in the small entrances to all the waterfalls and the outlet areas from aqueduct to canal, where stuff (leaves and twigs drift and build up). This causes the water to back up and my containment pond with the pump to lose water as it overflows the levees (sort of like it's doing on the Mississippi as we speak). The problem doesn't happen too much now but occurs especially in the fall when all the leaves are raining down. At some point in late October I give up and turn off the pump until end of march.

I'll do some reserach and also surf around this site for ideas.

BTW here's my pump. I had 2 cheapy pumps fail but this one is expensive from Germany and after reading a lot of testimonials, I went with this and haven't been disappointed. It pumps out so much water I have a T-valve directing half the flow back into the pond. As the aqueduct grows larger and larger, I may eventually need the additional flow. I also plan on building some flues and flumes

ry%3D480

I guess what I also could do is buy water plants where there's a 1 year guarantee and return the dead plant. Lowes and HD have those policies so you can experiment with what works. They don't carry too many water plants and large lilies would overwhelm the look of the canal so I'll be searching for something small and more in line with the scale I'm using for the trains

SE18

David V
Reaction score
BTW, I read the Raven last year. I felt sorry for the dog.

EDIT: oops, Raven is a poem. I read a Poe book about a kid and an older guy cast adrift at sea on a ship. There's a raven in it. I guess he likes Ravens. Forgot the name of the short story

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
try things that don't float but have attachments with small leaves chives grows great in a small pot on the edge of my pond and so does some of the mosses .I used screening for some of my pots instead of pots holds the soil better and I sew it by hand with thin fishing wire .Water celery is great too and hmmm hmmm tasty in a salad .Also forget me nots I get them by seed in the dollar store

Reaction score
SE18 said:
I guess what I also could do is buy water plants where there's a 1 year guarantee and return the dead plant. Lowes and HD have those policies so you can experiment with what works. They don't carry too many water plants and large lilies would overwhelm the look of the canal so I'll be searching for something small and more in line with the scale I'm using for the trains

lilies cant stand flow. You could try watercress. It grows all year and actually needs fast flowing water. give it something to attach to in the aquaduct, it should do really well and since its a small plant, the scale might work too.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
read the raven but could never understand any of it think he was drunk as chit when he wrote it and it was wild mans raving

SE18

David V
Reaction score
Some writers feel like they have to be drunk to be creative. Oh well.

Here’s more shots. You can see the roof drain connected to the upper reach of the canal, which refreshes the water everytime it rains; no cholrine tap water here!

Also, a section of the canal with locks

Also, floating on the water are little floaty plants I picked up in a pond (3rd photo down). A heavy rain washed them all away but they looked nice for a while

Also here’s my swamp or marsh area with Creeping Jennies. Creeping Jennies survive in water, dry areas, shade and sun. They are kinda wonder plant. I walk on them all the time too. They also spread out so some would call invasive but I like. Also an English boxwood (just out of view) is parked there beside the swamp as well as some sort of low conifer. It used to be a shallow pond but developed a crack and accumulated muck so I just let it be and it turned into a pretty cool marsh

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Regarding Poe it may have been the one. I just can't recall. In this one, the raven had a human liver or something that dropped onto the ship. Since this was written somewhere in the 1820s or 30s, I can clearly see how he must have influenced a crop of writers that followed (Melville, Twain, London and so on). Probably someone before influenced him as well

Reaction score
Poe would not have liked us very much apparently:

Many of his works are generally considered part of the dark romanticism genre, a literary reaction to transcendentalism,[82] which Poe strongly disliked.[83] He referred to followers of the movement as "Frogpondians" after the pond on Boston Common.[84] and ridiculed their writings as "metaphor-run", lapsing into "obscurity for obscurity's sake" or "mysticism for mysticism's sake."[85] Poe once wrote in a letter to Thomas Holley Chivers that he did not dislike Transcendentalists, "only the pretenders and sophists among them."[86]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Allan_Poe

Reaction score
That was his first published work that got him noticed for all that followed. I never realized how influential he was in so many genres. First detective story. He rejuvenated sci-fi. He did horror as a joke in the beginning and did more when they loved it.

Ask a Question