My basement pond project

Reaction score
Hi James,

Once again, ulcers and color fade have alot to do with water quality. You do have some really nice Koi! Are all these from the local pet shop or did you find a koi dealer?

Mark

Reaction score
Hi James,

Ok, I feel better...I thought I read somewhere that alot of your koi were purchased at a local pet store? And after looking at your fish I'm thinking "wow, what kind of petsmart do they have in Canada?"
When I first started thats where I bought mine not knowing anything, I did score ONCE a really nice ginrin kohaku last winter at the local Petsmart thats about it.

I finally found this guy this summer: http://www.koipondjapan.com/index.html

If anybody in the Chicago area looking for koi this is it! He imports koi from a breeder named Kase, of Koshiji Koi Farm, Japan.

Mark

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 209
Reaction score
I created that signature line when guy was alive. Being that I hate editing pictures, it was easier to just put a red X with explanation. Also serves as good reminder never to stock too much koi while pond is still cycling and/or purchase one that was showing signs of infection. I was so excited with the colour it had, I couldn't resist and paid the price. Unfortunately, off the shelf meds did squat. It died a few weeks after I scored a bottle of baytril. Saved my prize kohaku though.

I do have a bunch of domestics in the beginning and I still do now but not in pond except for a few lucky ones. I switched to imports rather quickly because there is no comparison. NO way can I score anything close to the ugliest import. I still want to score some traditional kohaku that we all immediately vision when japanese koi is mentioned. But I couldn't find any early this year at my 3 local import dealers. I can't even buy more if I want to now. Need to cull first. We'll see how the filters hold up in the future.

Reaction score
James,

Yep, typically what you'll see at the pet stores are 'pond koi' .

Here’s my two nicest (I think) imports and a Petsmart tancho, that doesn't grow.

Speaking of charcoal, I also use a mesh bag with about 3/4 cup full. I've read where the charcoal will absorb all sorts of bad things, even a hormone that the koi produce to limit growth!

Mark

P.S. They still sell that stuff they call Beer up there? I worked/lived in Toronto for 4-5 months, LOVED IT!

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 251
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 251
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 230
Reaction score
Mark, nice imports! The tancho reminds me of mine (from LFS). Different is, the red occupies entire head and the guy is shaped like a u-boat. That's a good find.

PP is supposedly good at removing hormones too. It might even clear up my pond too. I haven't dosed my pond in ages and I rather not unless I want to reduce parasites. So far so good. I haven't detected any. Had a gill fluke problem in the beginning. PP is deadly stuff. Used it without accurate scale and killed some poor guys by accident before. Some take it better than others. From my experience, if they start swimming like zombie fish, it usually means game over.

What is beer up?

Reaction score
What is beer up?[/QUOTE]

sorry, up there as in north. Labatts & Molson, I drank a lot of Labatts! : ^ )...I still think a Bakki shower might work good for you.

Reaction score
LOL! Yup.. Labatts & Molson plenty of that... You ain't missing much if you ask me. You can buy beer at corner store and supermarket. You have more selection and it's CHEAP!

Reaction score
Feeding reduced since last water change by 50%. Water colour much better now. It actually cleared up. I usually change water once a month. I'm going to do 1 every two months until summer kicks in (more excuse to water the grass). Going to change water starting tonight (last water change was 2 months ago). It's a 12hr process due to hot water tank not keeping up.

Mechanical filter only washed out once in two months.

I would love to feed them heavy but I have hit max bio-load long time ago. Well, not really. Just that water yellows too fast.

This DIY 3 55G barrel system may look like total poo poo but works great! Exceeded my expectations by a long shot. I don't even need 4th or 5th barrel add on but what I need more is cull my herd and keep only the really nice ones.

However, I may not do that. I like watching my 30+ koi swim around vs 10.

Expanding pond not an option unless I built pond outside but too much $$$ for my liken. I cut back on the 400watt lighting. I used to fire it 8 hrs a day 7 days a week. Down to 1 day a week. Electric bill through the roof. I just use 80watts of florescent 4hrs a day.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I run a 40 watt bulb from 9 am til noon 80 watts of flourecent from noon till 6pm then back to the 40 till 9 pm then lights ot trill morning... this is controlled by 2 $8.00 timers... im still performing great on 1 filter.

Reaction score
Hi James Koi!

Good to hear from you, I've been wondering whats happening with the koi.

Last month I picked up a couple $12 32 gal. trash cans and set them by the tank. Using a cheep Harbor freight 400 gph pump, I transfer the 'fresh water' into the tank after water sets for 48 hours, chlorine/clorimine (?) is removed and temp has come up to match koi tank water without heating. No chemicals needed and I'm not adding any hard water from the hot water heater.
I wonder if you could do something with 4-55 gal barrels and change out the water more often?

My little Q-tank seems to be doing OK, I swapped out the up flow mechanical trash can filter for a 55 drum with a bottom drain, works alot better. Water is filtered before going into bio filter.

The koi have been really growing and want to be feed all the time.

I was concerned about overcrowding, but after talking to friend that shows koi, he told me more or less, as long as the waters fresh I should be ok, and that one long time koi guy used to keep 10-30" show koi in a 1000 gal tank over the winter.

For lights, 2-40w fluorescents (sun spectrum) on a timer 9am-10pm.

Mark

Ask a Question