My basement pond project

Reaction score
Correct. One pipe out (white pipe is 3/4" PVC) and going back in is 2" ABS. However, I just modified my entire plumbing system (except for the dump system which works flawlessly).

First off, 3/4" PVC pipe is no good at all. Too much resistance (I swear it wasn't that bad when new). I swear my 950G rated pump was sending over 600GPH into the filters but in two months time the pipes got clogged with brown slime or whatever, and only measured 250GPH!?!? I replaced it with 1" (ID) black pond flex tubing and measured 750G.

But that was just temporary.

Keep in mind, many may say my pond is already over stocked and some say it is not. I think I have around 30 koi in there (I stopped counting). Size range from 5" to 14". Median is probably 9". Feeding 'em 2.5lbs of grub a week, realized there was ambient ammonia with my setup due to lack of flow (just 250GPH for the pond!). Ambient ammo in water after big feeding and goes down overnight. However, I measured almost none after first barrel and that was mechanical poly filter too! So these 55G filters are very effective. Therefore, 1st barrel is doing almost all the work and 2nd and 3rd didn't do much at all.

Now this what I did... Since 2" bulk heads rated 750GPH... So now, each barrel is receiving pond water (not in chain fashion no more) at around 750GPH each using Pondmaster Hydrive 3200 with 1 1/2" pipe with 3 outlets /w ball valve for each barrel to regulate/shut off flow. I'm currently measuring over 2000GPH with this setup. Currently, ball valves are completely open but making sure water level is not above bulkhead (you can try and stick in T pipe inside barrel to allow a bit more flow). Had massive problem with tiny flies growing/hatching on surface water in 1st barrel because of this. Literally a breeding farm of maybe 1000+ flies a day but I don't know where they ultimately ended up after they decide to fly away.

Barrel #1 and #2 is piped to 3" return (and vented) and 3rd barrel is using pre-existing 2" return.

For gravity return, one of the Doctor's said 2" pipe is good for 750GPH, 3" 1500PGH and 4" 3000GPH.

Anyhow, I can't measure any ammonia in the system anymore. I also think 600-750GPH of flow in the barrel is more than adequate. Anymore, there may not be enough hang time for bacteria to do it's job efficiently.

I will try and post pics of my spaghetti plumbing factory tonight. Blends in well with theme of 'unfinished' basement. :)

Reaction score
I like the idea, i was thinking since mine will be out side that i was going to run a bulkhead about 1 foot to 6 inches off the bottom and plumb it through the side using 1 1/2 in pipe to a barrel or two, this way hiding the plumping a little bit then using a 2in return pipe plumb it into 1 or two bulkheads approx 1 to 2 feet off the bottom in the front/back to create a current in the pond. I am rethinking adding bulk heads as this probably will cause more leaks and headachs then it is good. But i would like to see some picutres of your plumbing set up, and inside the pond, placement of pumps and air pumps etc.

BBK

Reaction score
I think a fishless cycle would have been much easier and less stressful to the fish. Exposure to the ammonia and nitrite definitely decreased their lifespan.

Reaction score
bsr8129 said:
I like the idea, i was thinking since mine will be out side that i was going to run a bulkhead about 1 foot to 6 inches off the bottom and plumb it through the side using 1 1/2 in pipe to a barrel or two, this way hiding the plumping a little bit then using a 2in return pipe plumb it into 1 or two bulkheads approx 1 to 2 feet off the bottom in the front/back to create a current in the pond. I am rethinking adding bulk heads as this probably will cause more leaks and headachs then it is good. But i would like to see some picutres of your plumbing set up, and inside the pond, placement of pumps and air pumps etc.

Lemme get this straight. You're planning to use a 55G blue barrel and only tapping it about 1/2 way up? 2inch return pipe is cool, but I don't think it's a good idea to use 1 1/2" bulkheads on the barrel. If you plan to do a dump valve to flush, it has to be 2" as well.

Reaction score
BBK said:
I think a fishless cycle would have been much easier and less stressful to the fish. Exposure to the ammonia and nitrite definitely decreased their lifespan.

Yeah... I would agree.. 2nd time around, I would go fishless (at least seed the filters adequately at least). It was a big head ache not doing either. Problem was too, I was smack in the middle of koi buying season. If I missed this round, i won't be able to have nice koi until next year. What a predicament. LOL!

Reaction score
jameskoi said:
Lemme get this straight. You're planning to use a 55G blue barrel and only tapping it about 1/2 way up? 2inch return pipe is cool, but I don't think it's a good idea to use 1 1/2" bulkheads on the barrel. If you plan to do a dump valve to flush, it has to be 2" as well.

No ill be using 2 in bulk heads on the barrel, ill be using 1 1/2 in pipe going into the barrel. I also wont be tapping the barrel half way up ill be using the full length of it.

I was thinking of using bulkheads on the side of the pond, this way i can place the pump in the pond and instead of having pipe running over the side it will just go directly out the side of the pond through the bulkhead.

Reaction score
Happened way sooner than expected... Due to lack of flow, I upgraded the pump and because of that, needed to beef up plumbing. Total damage? Around $250 for new pump and $300CDN for plumbing parts. DOH!

Gone with the old (~600GPH 3 barrels hooked up in chain fashion). Upgraded to 2000GPH actual flow with each filter getting its own water directly from pond.

Why? Realized ambient ammo was practically all removed just from the 1st barrel alone (which was just mechanical filtration). Tested many many times to make sure it wasn't a mistake. 1 barrel could have probably handled this current system alone. Realized ambient ammo caused by lack of flow. Was down to 250GPH due to slimy brown buildup in narrow 3/4" piping used (I think). Temporarily upgraded flow to almost 1000GPH and ambient ammonia gone.

Now, the NEW:

3200GPH pump (actual ~2000GPH) feeding 3 barrels indiviually.
Barrel 1 & 2 fed into 3" output pipe. Barrel 3 output pipe untouched.

2nd pic, you can see a 1/2 of the pondmaster ap-60 airpump sitting on the top end of the homemade shelf.

Last pic shows the hack job I did to the bulkhead (used reciprocating saw and that smoked the bulkhead with ABS pipe glued inside). Capped off in the inside with standard 2" ABS drain plug /w lots of teflon tape.

I have four 12" airstones and 1 circular one in the pond and airstones in 2 of the 3 barrels. I the air into pond is over kill but I rather pump more air into pond than to have air pump build up too much pressure. I'm also powering other tanks with this cheapo (aka best bang for buck air pump).

Pump is basically in the middle of pond but against the side wall. I said forget about putting it dead center. Just easier to access/less piping to run. Pond floor free of crap.

Attachments

• filter1.jpg
    filter1.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 407
  • filter2.jpg
    filter2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 436
  • filter3.jpg
    filter3.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 410
  • filter4.jpg
    filter4.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 445
  • filter5.jpg
    filter5.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 430
Reaction score
Yeah... LOL! Cost of fittings just add up too fast, especially rubber fittings. I used those as sparingly as possible. Anything larger than 1.5" pipes add up way to fast too.

My heard can eat 2.5lbs of food a week. If I don't cull, i'm in trouble. One day will hit 10lbs and more. Either cut down on population or feed 'em really cheap food. Don't know what to do yet in this department. I can't imaging stocking a nice 10,000G pond. I'll go poor on food alone.

Reaction score
I'm not sure how much they all weigh in there. I'm pretty sure i'm over feeding them. LOL!

They bulked up nicely. They're probably considered fat koi but growing fast. :) I couldn't resist. These buggers don't seem to ever stop eating. You're right... I think i need to cut down. 1.5lbs a week might be good enuf.

So far so good. No leaks on my plumbing (never had issue before with whatever plumbing I do whether house or pond). :)

I sure wish I could have toned down on the plumbing (it's much cheaper to boot) but no can do... Me thinks I'm doing minimum requirements! Upgraded in 3 months time. Another upgrade is a matter of time. Have two 55G barrels ready when the time comes. Maybe I should have used 4" pipe for main outlet that goes to pond for future upgrades so that I don't need to run another 3" pipe when more filters are added. LOL!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
There must be charts available for weight to length ratio's. Male and female are going to be different. That way, you can better calculate how much to feed them.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It look good there jameskoi ,, you will be happy with the new plumb job..
Each one of the drums can handle what you run thru it on there own...
we just had to waste a few bulkheads to get it right

Reaction score
hmmm.. this setup appears to have a minor flaw. I just did a water dump on all my barrels and once restared, waterflow to each pipe is not the same. 1st barrel gets hardly nothing, 2nd normal and 3rd one almost overflowed! I have to close the other vavles to get right flow in first and then open them up again.

Bigger concern is, if there was a power failure and i'm not around to observe it!

Anyone has an idea how to make this distribution more evengly? Pipes going into barrels are all leveled. I partially closed some valves and retested, but the flow appears to be very inconsistent upon each restart.

Ask a Question