my big shubbie is dying

Blackdog128

blackdog128
Reaction score
my big guy the one i have had for the last 7 years is quickly slipping away iam not sure how to save him i did a water change on the tank yesterday and tested the water and changed the filter on it and he not eating breathing real fast and it looks like his fins are going to fall off and he has red lines on his body and tail not sure what going to happen to him i love him so much
he been thu 5 moves with me and 3 new tanks i gruss this gods way of telling me i should not have fish then so be it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I can always tell when I need to do some tank maintenance when my shark starts to lose his color and breathes real hard. He is 10. They must need more attention the older they get. He has lived through a couple of tank crashes in his younger years, but let the tank go a little now and he starts to deteriorate. Good luck with your Shubie, hope he pulls through it. Did you test for Ammonia?

Blackdog128

blackdog128
Reaction score
it has a new airstone a 14 inch one and yes he been in this tank since june of this year he is 7 inchs long and the tank is 100 gallons he is the only fish i have iu will keep u all updated on him thu today

Blackdog128

blackdog128
Reaction score
oh yeah i have to keep the filter changed every week so in 12 weeks i go thu a years worth of fiters replacements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Maybe he is lonely. If he's the only fish in there, maybe a buddy will perk him up.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So sorry for you having to go through this again. Hoping he makes it. Maybe he caught whatever the other one had? Don't know what to tell you.

Blackdog128

blackdog128
Reaction score
he could of do u think that is i add a extra filter with the just water have a water fall will help him just let the water run thu it with out any filter will help him have the extar bubbles brake the surface of the water helphim any i gruss if i can keep water moving it may help can any reply to this ?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Gee if your water is good and you clean your filter regular and you have an airstone already I don't know if you would need another filter. Have you tried put some salt in the water to help w/ his slime coat? Sometimes salt can help. I don't know how much to use tho for your tank size. Maybe do some small water changes each day for awhile and don't forget to use De-chlorinator if you have city water and not well water.

Reaction score
http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/koipond/bacterial_disorders.html

Here is some good information for you. I'm not sure if you should be changing the filter out so often as you might be removing the good bacteria in your tank.
Do you have aquarium salt in the tank? Using salt will help with a broad spectrum of problems. If you don't have salt in the tank now, please READ up on how to add it before attempting.
What is the temperature of the water? Water temps. of 78 to 86 are good for treating sick fish. Temps must be raised slowly as to not shock the fish. Do you have any aquarium medications or antibiotic food on hand?? Have you tested for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph? If so, what are the readings.
From looking at the chart in the link, it sounds like a bacterial infection.

Blackdog128

blackdog128
Reaction score
iam sorry to say this i did not check my email last night and went to bed and i woke up today and found my big boy who i loved so much at the bottem of the tank and alread removed his lifeless body from the tank broke the tank down and cleaned it and put it out in the shed until i can take on a new fish MAY MY BEST PAL NOW REST IN PEACE WITH NO PAIN THANKS U ALL FOR THE HELP THAT CAME TO LATE

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So sorry Blackdog .... It's always hard to loose a fish, especially our favorite one.

Blackdog128

blackdog128
Reaction score
but every chance i had i took a least 12-40 pics of him each month i had him so he will not be forgotten may he be free in fishy heaven swiming again with others of his but 7 almost 8 years was a great time i had with him even thu i was always pushing him to the limit but this time was the last time so sorry pal

Ask a Question