My first garden pond...

Reaction score
Why is concrete bad? (sorry I'm new to this) I have my plants propped up on patio pavers (stone type that kind of look like bricks and are laid out in patterns to look cool) and all my fish keep dying. Sorry for the thread hijack, but this may be important to the thread started as well. Thanks

Reaction score
Concrete has chemicals that kill fish, lime being very bad. If you want to use concrete, you need wash and scrub it down several time, but are best off painting it with some good sealant.

Concrete is also harder, nearly impossible to patch if you get a crack.

I have 1 concrete block and 4 patio pavers in my pond, but I have 5,000 gallons of water, with a large filtratoin system.

Concrete also costs a lot more then a good quality pond liner.

Reaction score
so what would be the best thing to prop plants up to the top of my potted pond? ceramics, plastic, glass? Thanks

Reaction score
Would it be a good or bad idea to do a pond like an inground pool?.....with concrete and a liner?...

Reaction score
Could be done, but I don't see the need to do that. If you are buying the liner, why spend the money on putting concrete in. I always look at the least expensive, yet more efficient ways to do stuff.

When I built my pond, I looked at many options. Concrete, concrete blocks, brick, etc. The cheapest and most efficient way was just the 60mil liner.

Reaction score
well I'll hopefully be able to get a pool liner for free....no idea what the thickness will be though...I just feel as though it will be more durable to do both concrete and a liner....the concrete will protect the liner from below and the liner will keep it from leaking. I'm afraid of a liner getting ripped up by something digging or smt....lol

Reaction score
Have to get a good liner. A pond liner is not 3mil plastic you buy at wal-mart. My liner is 60mil, and difficult to cut with a scissors.

If you ever want to make changes to your pond, concrete will make that very difficult. I rarely hear of anyone having problems with a pondliner, unless they purchase a poor quality one.

Ask a Question