My first Skippy Filter Ultra 2.0

Reaction score
I recently removed a koi pond setup I had for several years and replaced it with a concrete block walled and concrete bottom pond. Took about 9 days to construct and came in at about $700.00 Plus a few hundred on some really nice fish...

Today I put in place a Skippy (like) filter into the loop and it came in around $120.00, Still need to purchase some filter media to complete the filter scenario.

I purchased a 50 gallon or so barrel "POLY" from a local hardware store and managed to bring in the plumbing rather easily to the barrel, I brought my inlet and outlet into the barrel at the center rather than at the bottom and top, mostly for cosmetic reasons, and on the inside I elbowed up and down for my water flow in and out. It works very well and was very affordable. Took several hours to construct but I believe this method would work very well for many pond owners.

Heres a few pics to illustrate the design. One note... The barrel also has a removable lid that has a nice o-ring seal this will make it easy to access for removal of large debris.

My plan is to have a basket inside the barrel up top to catch leaves and stuff that comes in from the pond. Im under trees so leaves are an issue with me.

skippy2.jpg

skippy4.jpg

skippy5.jpg

skippy7.jpg

Reaction score
I recently removed a koi pond setup I had for several years and replaced it with a concrete block walled and concrete bottom pond. Took about 9 days to construct and came in at about $700.00 Plus a few hundred on some really nice fish...

Today I put in place a Skippy (like) filter into the loop and it came in around $120.00, Still need to purchase some filter media to complete the filter scenario.

I purchased a 50 gallon or so barrel "POLY" from a local hardware store and managed to bring in the plumbing rather easily to the barrel, I brought my inlet and outlet into the barrel at the center rather than at the bottom and top, mostly for cosmetic reasons, and on the inside I elbowed up and down for my water flow in and out. It works very well and was very affordable. Took several hours to construct but I believe this method would work very well for many pond owners.

Heres a few pics to illustrate the design. One note... The barrel also has a removable lid that has a nice o-ring seal this will make it easy to access for removal of large debris.

My plan is to have a basket inside the barrel up top to catch leaves and stuff that comes in from the pond. Im under trees so leaves are an issue with me.

skippy2.jpg

skippy4.jpg

skippy5.jpg

skippy7.jpg

Reaction score
gusto, got a few questions for you. Have you decided on media? And do you plan to put in a grid of some kind to keep the media from getting into the outlet? Do you think you'll set this on some blocks and install a bottom drain, or just skip that for now?

And where did you find the tank? I like the lid!

Reaction score
gusto, got a few questions for you. Have you decided on media? And do you plan to put in a grid of some kind to keep the media from getting into the outlet? Do you think you'll set this on some blocks and install a bottom drain, or just skip that for now?

And where did you find the tank? I like the lid!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the pictures say that this is a down flow filter, as i read them. the water is pumped in thru the top pipe and out the upper "tee" down thru the media to the bottom and back up to the bottom pipe. if this is correct the crap, and other debris will be collected in the top area of the filter on "mechanical" matala style matts, correct? did you incorperate a bottom flush valve for flushing the filter?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the pictures say that this is a down flow filter, as i read them. the water is pumped in thru the top pipe and out the upper "tee" down thru the media to the bottom and back up to the bottom pipe. if this is correct the crap, and other debris will be collected in the top area of the filter on "mechanical" matala style matts, correct? did you incorperate a bottom flush valve for flushing the filter?

Reaction score
Looks good. Can you post some info and pics on how you built your pond? When we decide to upgrade our existing pond we are considering the concrete block wall/bottom option.

Reaction score
Looks good. Can you post some info and pics on how you built your pond? When we decide to upgrade our existing pond we are considering the concrete block wall/bottom option.

Ask a Question