My Fish are Going to Spawn Soon.

Discussion in 'Spawning' started by ZmanArt007, May 13, 2015.

1. ZmanArt007

ZmanArt007 Fish Keeper and Filmmaker

I caught some more again and used a dime to compare the size this time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also, I'm pretty sure that nearly half if not more of them have fancy tails, which is neat. I'm excited for them to get some color soon!

ZmanArt007, Jun 11, 2015
    Nepen and bettasngoldfish like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. ZmanArt007

C-Note

So cute!! This is a fun thread to watch. Any fry from the koi spawning?

C-Note, Jun 13, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. ZmanArt007

bettasngoldfish Maria

cute! :D

bettasngoldfish, Jun 13, 2015
  4. ZmanArt007

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I like the little one with the tri tail and the white body stripe

addy1, Jun 13, 2015
  5. ZmanArt007

Priscilla

This is so exciting I can hardly stand it!!! And these tails just take it to another level!

I wish mine would do something! Maybe they aren't attracted to each other.... Maybe they see kids are too much trouble.... Maybe my kids annoy them too much!

My pond is only 1.5 years old, so maybe next year.

Although I did have that ammonia spike which was totally unusual, after a huge rain storm ....... maybe ........ who knows.

Priscilla, Jun 13, 2015
    ZmanArt007 likes this.
  6. ZmanArt007

There are a few of them in there, yes, and some in the pond as well. If they stay alert and hidden they will make it.

I think that might just be a glare on the water, not sure. I certainly didn't notice it when I took the pictures.

I'm on vacation now so I won't get to see the fish for a week. The neighbor kid is feeding them while we are gone. Hopefully everything goes well and they grow some and gain some color too. TO BE CONTINUED NEXT WEEK!

ZmanArt007, Jun 14, 2015
    Priscilla likes this.
  7. ZmanArt007

CountryEscape

Zman, it is possible that the goldfish fertilized the koi eggs, and visa versa, right? But, this is the first I'm seeing of someone having obvious fantail fry. Sooo excited for you! I have lots of fantails in my goldfish pond, but have never seen a baby. In fact, no babies for the last 2 years, too many fish eating all the eggs/fry. So, I will enjoy watching them grow up under your care instead. Thanks for sharing your pics and babies with us.

CountryEscape, Jun 18, 2015
    Priscilla likes this.
  8. ZmanArt007

It's entirely possible that the koi and goldfish could cross breed, but it's unlikely. My koi always seem to be on a later timeline in terms of spawning season. That and the fact that there are enough goldfish males to block the koi males from the female goldfish, and the reverse is the same for the koi when they breed. It's possible that I have some accidental mixes, but the majority will be single species. Also, I'm pretty sure the fantail genes are not passed to koi hybrids, so the majority are definitely goldfish in my baby pool.

I get home tomorrow. I'm excited to see my babies!

ZmanArt007, Jun 20, 2015
    CountryEscape likes this.
  9. ZmanArt007

mrsclem mrsclem

It's truly exciting to watch these guys grow and change. I now have 4 batches of koi fry- 6 weeks down to 3 days old!

mrsclem, Jun 20, 2015
  10. ZmanArt007

CountryEscape

I applaud all of you that save your fry and give them a fighting chance. I don't have the space to house fry, nor the desire to have 100 babies to figure out what to do with at the end of the summer. LOL But, I sure love watching yours grow up.
    You make some excellent points, Zman, thanks. I had goldfish and koi together, and decided to separate them so no cross breeding would happen. Didn't know about the fantails not intermingling with the koi. I guess I figured if a female spawned, the males are ready all the time, so either could have fertilized the eggs. You know, guys are always ready, girls have to be in the right "time". :) That's why I figured likely to cross breed, but I am so excited to see your baby fantails. There is hope for them yet! I have 3 fantails that have been in my pond for 4 years now. How large or old are your fantails that spawned? Just curious if they have to be older or a certain size. I think Addy posted that her regular goldfish and Comets, 2-3" when put in the first year, spawned that same year. So did mine.

CountryEscape, Jun 21, 2015
  11. ZmanArt007

I didn't mean that the fancy goldfish and the fantails can't spawn, Country, what I meant was that I'm pretty sure the gene that causes the fancy tail in fancy goldfish is not passed down to koi/fancy hybrids. I have one Moore, one Ryukin, and two Orandas (Only one at spawning size). I just got them last year, they have grown a lot but are still only about three inches long excluding tail. These fry with the fancy tails are likely cross between one of those three fancies and my comets or my young subunkin.

ZmanArt007, Jun 23, 2015
    CountryEscape likes this.
  12. ZmanArt007

So I'm back from vacation and the baby fish have been growing quite a bit. No color yet, but I think that's common in goldfish fry. They don't get colors as soon as koi fry.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ZmanArt007, Jun 23, 2015
    CountryEscape and C-Note like this.
  13. ZmanArt007

C-Note

They are just so cute! The fan tails are fantastic!

C-Note, Jun 23, 2015
    ZmanArt007 likes this.
  14. ZmanArt007

CountryEscape

I LOVE those baby fantails! Thanks for explaining the possible crosses, Z-Man. I can sure understand that cross. :)
    And, I found 2 baby goldfish in my goldfish pond on Sat., spotted both of them again on Sunday, and this morning spotted a half-sized one with them. All are white with black markings, so guessing them all to be Shubunkins. They are darting back and forth quite a lot,and staying at the bottom of the pond, so no photos worth anything to share. Sooner or later they will figure out to come to the surface for food, but probably will be a while yet. The larger two are about 1.5" long, and the little one is less than an inch, or so it appears. Excited, as I have not had any babies for the last 2 seasons. Putting the mop head in the pond next to where I saw them spawn may have helped, or it may be just good luck.

CountryEscape, Jun 24, 2015
    ZmanArt007 likes this.
  15. ZmanArt007

Here's a video I threw together after feeding the babies this morning:

ZmanArt007, Jul 1, 2015
    CountryEscape and C-Note like this.
  16. ZmanArt007

CountryEscape

Wow, you have a BUNCH! I'm thrilled I have maybe a dozen. LOL

CountryEscape, Jul 2, 2015
    ZmanArt007 likes this.
  17. ZmanArt007

Okay, so a few of the fish have started to display real color. There are several shubunkin-looking single-tailed fish swimming around, probably the offspring of my single shubunkin and one of my female comets:
    [​IMG]

A more interesting discovery, however, is this little beauty right here:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I know the pictures aren't the best; my phone isn't the greatest at macro-photography. But what we are looking at here is a Calico-colored, double-tailed goldfish. This is an interesting discovery because it might help me determine the parents of the fancy fry (Or at least the ones that end up calico).

So, because of the fancy tail, one of the parents, obviously, are one of these fancy goldfish:
    [​IMG]
    Black Moore (Assumed to be male)

[​IMG]
    Red Cap Oranda (Male, thought to be sexually immature at the time of spawning)

[​IMG]
    Orange Oranda (Female)

[​IMG]
    Calico Ryukin (Female) - Perhaps her Missing Tail is a result of spawning with the large comets?

And, because of all of the common goldfish-bodied fry, born in the same batch, I assume that these fancy-tailed fry are not just a result of fancies, but a crossbreed of fancy and comet/shubunkin. Because of this calico fish, I think I can determine that it is a crossbreed of:

Shubunkin Male and Orange Oranda Female, or
    Comet Male and Calico Ryukin Female, or
    Shubunkin Male and Calico Ryukin Female.

So far, their bodies resemble more of an oranda than a ryukin, but that very well could be because of the comet/shubunkin genes. (Isn't a watonai a cross between a wakin and a ryukin or something like that?) Because of all the variation, and because I missed the actual spawning, I guess I can't determine their lineage with certainty. It's likely that there was a goldfish-orgy, and there are countless combinations within the nursery tank.

Either way, it's fun that some of them are getting color :D

ZmanArt007, Jul 9, 2015
    CountryEscape and Nepen like this.
  18. ZmanArt007

CountryEscape

I have baby shubunkins in my pond, but no fantails yet that I have ever spotted. One day ... maybe one day I will have fantail babies. My fantails are as old as my large goldfish, but never notice them being part of the frenzy when I do see the spawning going on. Thanks again for sharing your photos. Love that little calico fantail!

CountryEscape, Jul 11, 2015
    ZmanArt007 likes this.
  19. ZmanArt007

So I caught some of the colored ones to take some photos of them. Here they are:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Two of them have fantails. One of them is not calico, only orange and white, but has a rounder body. I think more fish are getting colors every day. Hopefully I get some good looking specimens!

ZmanArt007, Jul 13, 2015
  20. ZmanArt007

sissy sissy

your pics in the orange bowl are easier to see the difference in them that the white container .I have to get another popeye for my olive oil she misses her mate after the toad ate him and he was not a small fish either .none of my fish are small

Attached Files:

sissy, Jul 13, 2015
    ZmanArt007 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question