TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
very nice pond! I love your use of the old water pump as a fountain, very unique. How were you able to obtain water lettuce and hyacinth in Florida? I was under the impression they were banned.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
very nice pond! I love your use of the old water pump as a fountain, very unique. How were you able to obtain water lettuce and hyacinth in Florida? I was under the impression they were banned.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You are the second person who has told me that about the lettuce and hyacinth but I actually got 3 of each plant from eBay over a year ago. I didn’t know they were banded until long after I had received them. I can understand why though bc they multiple literary over night.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
You are the second person who has told me that about the lettuce and hyacinth but I actually got 3 of each plant from eBay over a year ago. I didn’t know they were banded until long after I had received them. I can understand why though bc they multiple literary over night.
Nice pond!
Both plants are a huge problem in natural waterways in FL (I'm in FL, too) and are banned (I think there's an exception for aquatic nurseries in FL that ship out of state). One of our local county ponds spent $50,000 (ugh! tax payer dollars!) last year to remove tons of hyacinths. My local aquatic plant expert says that pieces of hyacinths cut up by boat propellers can propagate.
So, do everything you can to be sure your plants don't make it to local waterways, even by accident via storm drains, and as you cull the overload, put them in the trash, not yard waste and not compost.
Overall, though, enjoy your pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Nice pond!
Both plants are a huge problem in natural waterways in FL (I'm in FL, too) and are banned (I think there's an exception for aquatic nurseries in FL that ship out of state). One of our local county ponds spent $50,000 (ugh! tax payer dollars!) last year to remove tons of hyacinths. My local aquatic plant expert says that pieces of hyacinths cut up by boat propellers can propagate.
So, do everything you can to be sure your plants don't make it to local waterways, even by accident via storm drains, and as you cull the overload, put them in the trash, not yard waste and not compost.
Nice pond!

Yes I’m far from any water ways and when I thin out the over growth it goes into the garbage bag and my back yard trash can only gets emptied about once a month when it is full. So I’m pretty positive that they are all dead by then. But thanks for the info.

Ask a Question