My new catfish pond construction

Reaction score
I went to Agway yesterday to get chicken feed and they were closed for Easter. I couldn't believe it. I can only go there on weekends because they closed at 5 during the week.

Reaction score
Riverbottom said:
I think J&J aqua farm ships but it would be cheaper if you could get the fish closer.
Even with the avalibility of catfish food here some people still feed there catfish cat food :bouncycig:

I think I may go the cat food route with minnows as a treat. Is there a specific brand and type that people have sucessfully used? Thanks for the idea.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My other husband fed our pond fish some cat food, left an oily sheen on the water. Think it was purina.

Reaction score
I just read that it takes twice as much dog food to get an equivalent growth rate, but heck it's cheap. I think I found a place that will ship if I pursue the official route. Also, I need 28-32% protein. Anything more than 28% adds alot of extra nitrogen.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
so do you get a lot of rain in your area to fill it up or did you have to use city water? Must have taken a long time to fill that sucker up. Hate to see your water bill this month.

Reaction score
I have a farm well for my 8 acres of pomegranates took 8 hrs to fill. Now it is topped off with a3/4 inch line on my sprinkler timer once a day for 10 to 20 minuets depending on the heat.

Reaction score
Wife caught a 17 inch catfish, new pound record!

Attachments

• CIMG0045.jpg
    CIMG0045.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 297
  • CIMG0056.jpg
    CIMG0056.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 298
  • CIMG0057.jpg
    CIMG0057.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 311
  • CIMG0058.jpg
    CIMG0058.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 318
  • CIMG0059.jpg
    CIMG0059.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 346
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Riverbottom, are you saying your huge pond only took 8 hours to fill? If that's the case, you must have some huge pump on your well! Do you know how many gallons of water are in the pond? It's gorgeous, BTW. Beautiful plants all the way around it. So wonderful, bet you and your wife love sitting on that deck fishing. :) Oh, what type of catfish is that? In IL, they stock ponds with channel cats, but that one looks somewhat different.

Reaction score
i remember seeing a picture of it filling, from what looked like a big fire hydrant! The one i last tapped into 3" outlet supplying a good 1000L/minute+!

looks brilliant, those catfish sure are growing quick, impressive! I hope to be able to out-do you one day :lol:

Reaction score
Yes mostly water hyacinth but also variegated water celery, Primrose creeper, moneywort, parrot feather, Pickerel rush, yellow flag iris, creeping Jenny, taro, variegated rush, corkscrew rush, lotus ( not up yet) and water Lilly.
They are channel catfish along with bluegill. The only plant I can't get to grow is water lettuce, they multiply into small plants then die

Ask a Question