My new catfish pond construction

Reaction score
Put in 150 Catfish fingerlings lost 10 in pump, ate 6 so far. Caught and released them when they were small to check them out. Now for fun we fish for the blue gill during the day when the catfish sleep we also eat the blue gill they are very good eating and they breed fast, started with 50 don't know how many we have now but we see schools of them swim by.
Catfish only breed in a pipe or cave, haven't put one in yet so there are no new cats yet.
Pond is 5 to 6 feet deep water temp is up to 64 now.
Once the water temp got up to 55 they started to eat again.
If you have any other questions I would be happy to answer

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a nice clean food supply you have going there. Great set up and you know your fish are healthy food. Neat

Reaction score
thanks for the info riverbottom, yes bluegils are even better tasting. Now all you need are a couple bass to help keep down the bluegill population....and they are really fun to catch.

Reaction score
I'm going to have some channel cats soon and the local stores are really stumped when I ask for Catfish Pellets. lol May have to just use koi food. Can't see paying for shipping of 50 lb bags.

Hey, does J & J airship fingerlings? I think I have a local supplier for the fish, but not sure yet.

Reaction score
What a great place. When are you going to invite us all over to swim? ;-) A friend has a good size pond and last year added Tilapia knowing they will die when it got cold. He just scooped them out of the water and had a fish dinner.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Malak, try feed and seed centers, tractor supply and petsmart. They all sell bulk food and catfish Pellets will cost 50% or less than koi pellets.

Reaction score
I think J&J aqua farm ships but it would be cheaper if you could get the fish closer.
Even with the avalibility of catfish food here some people still feed there catfish cat food :)

Reaction score
I have lots of bullfrogs to keep my bluegill population down. I know catfish eat bullfrogs but they won't touch them as tadpoles, as soon as they get legs they start to disappear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Malak said:
I'm going to have some channel cats soon and the local stores are really stumped when I ask for Catfish Pellets. lol May have to just use koi food. Can't see paying for shipping of 50 lb bags.

Hey, does J & J airship fingerlings? I think I have a local supplier for the fish, but not sure yet.

Malak, where do you live? Around here, you can buy 50# bags of floating catfish food at the farm stores. Might check that out, if you have them around you. I'm in the middle of Farming, USA, so have an abundance of farm stores. :) Good luck!

Reaction score
I think there are not enough number of people with gamefish ponds to justify them carrying it. I did not try Tractor Supply yet, but I never remember seeing it there in the past and I've been all over that store quite a few times getting chicken feed etc.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Any feed store can order catfish pellets, Purina makes one that is decent, Not the best priced, Not the best quality but not that bad either. But if they get purina chicken, gota, rabbit, dog and cat food they can get catfish pellets too. 50# here run $15.99

Ask a Question