My new fish

Reaction score
I finally got a good pic of my new fish. The place where I bought him called him a "High fin shark". I'm thinking this is not what they are commonly known as. Is this what you call them? They are bottom feeders and eat mostly aglae. LOL you probably know this already. I love the colors and shape. I was definately looking for something different. His name is Duane LOL, long story :)

Attachments

• Duane.jpg
    Duane.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 201

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat looking fish, no clue what they are called. I can see why you like the color and shape.

Reaction score
Well that was depressing ;)
But, thank you for the great info. I am very interested to see if he changes shape and color like the article says.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry about that and I thought it was quite interesting also. Hope he has a long and enjoyable life in your aquarium or pond?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
i've heard of a few people trying them in large ponds, Drawback to that fish are, They get 40" long and don't keep that coloration, they become a very dull grey that is very hard to see. They are a schooling fish, They need company of the same type and size to really feel comfortable in a pond, Recommended that three to five individuals be kept together. When they do start to get large I have heard they are worse on plants than Koi as far as digging and up rooting plants. It is a intresting looking fish for sure when young but once I did the research and heard more from individuals that did try them I decided it wasn't a good canidate for my pond so I passed on trying to keep them. Good luck with it and keep updates coming. Some things I don't know are How fast will they grow in a pond, how long before the bandings start to fade and how they react with temp. changes.

Reaction score
Sorry about that and I thought it was quite interesting also. Hope he has a long and enjoyable life in your aquarium or pond?
I'm just messing with you. But, yes that was a very interesting article though. I just don't like the fact that they are endangered.

i've heard of a few people trying them in large ponds, Drawback to that fish are, They get 40" long and don't keep that coloration, they become a very dull grey that is very hard to see. They are a schooling fish, They need company of the same type and size to really feel comfortable in a pond, Recommended that three to five individuals be kept together. When they do start to get large I have heard they are worse on plants than Koi as far as digging and up rooting plants. It is a intresting looking fish for sure when young but once I did the research and heard more from individuals that did try them I decided it wasn't a good canidate for my pond so I passed on trying to keep them. Good luck with it and keep updates coming. Some things I don't know are How fast will they grow in a pond, how long before the bandings start to fade and how they react with temp. changes.
I can see the schooling trend in him. He follows my koi and goldfish when they are all zoom around going after food. I feel bad, it's like he's being left out.LOL I wouldn't mind getting him a buddy but that little bugger was expensive. Plus, from what I just read above, it's going to be too big for my pond. I really can't see him getting as big as they say though. Only time will tell. It will be interesting to see what happens.
I was either going to buy a catfish or this guy. I decided against the catfish because I was afraid it might be too agressive and eat or hurt my other fish.
I'll update the thread as things change.

Ask a Question