My pond photos

Reaction score
taherrmann4 said:
I have been busy the last several weeks and decided to build a small fountain that feeds my creek. I took an old strawberry pot that i had laying in the bottom of the pond, ran the line that feeds the creek up through the middle of it, filled it with lava rock. Haven't decided if I am sold on it or not, but the wife likes it.
I like it .. think it adds character :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Love the pot at the beginning of your stream, very unique idea. I see it being "stolen" many times. :)
Now, have to ask, what type of dog is that? Looks much like a schnauzer, but I've never seen one in white. So ... whatever it is, it sure is cute, and intent on whatever it spotted or smells!

Reaction score
Taher you have a great pond and a nicely landscaped yard, but I don`t recall seeing any pictures of your pond`s plumbing and filtration system. What you got going on in that department?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
CountryEscape said:
Love the pot at the beginning of your stream, very unique idea. I see it being "stolen" many times. :)
Now, have to ask, what type of dog is that? Looks much like a schnauzer, but I've never seen one in white. So ... whatever it is, it sure is cute, and intent on whatever it spotted or smells!
Yes she is a schnauzer. She was a rescue we got a few years ago, and one hell of a hunter - all terrier!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Mucky_Waters said:
Taher you have a great pond and a nicely landscaped yard, but I don`t recall seeing any pictures of your pond`s plumbing and filtration system. What you got going on in that department?
Mucky if you go into my pond showcase there are some pics of my plumbing not too many though. Basically what I have is a savio skimmer, savio filter, laguna filter, bog filter and a sequence external pump. I have ball valves that I can control the flow to all the different filters. I used 2" pvc coming from my skimmer to my pump then as it leaves my pump I go up to a 3" pvc then it splits off and one 2:" pvc goes to my bog and savio filter and the 2" pvc goes to my two creeks (one has the laguna filter and the other has the strawberry pot trickle tower that I just built). I used pvc glue on most connections but there are some where I had to use a rubber gasket because of the angle.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
taherrmann4 said:
Dr.Case here are some pics I will have to take some better ones this weekend.
I started the saw up yesterday and got two birds rough cut out,
At the end of the day it felt like my arms fell off

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This year has been really bad for the seeds from my river birch trees and they are playing havoc on my filter system. These tiny seeds are small enough that my skimmer won't stop them, my filter basket on my pump catches probably 2/3 of them which causes it to greatly reduce the flow if not taken out and cleaned out every day. Then there are the ones that make it to my bog and other areas such as my new strawberry pot fountain. The outlet is quite small and these seeds clog the barb fittings I am using. I can't wait until they are finished.

Not to mention I was trying to relax on my hammock and it was like snow dropping on you....

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I hear you, I got the same problem, tree litter dropping everywhere and my catch nets located in the waterways don't get it all. Hard to relax right now when so much to do..... can't stress out about it, same thing every year, and this year there is so much more stuff falling from my trees, I don't know if it is because of the mild winter or what. Que sera sera whatever will be will be! :)

Attachments

• IMAG8795.jpg
    IMAG8795.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 228

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I had to net out some of the river birch seeds out of my showa pond
The wind was blowing out of my neighbors yard, I feel bad now years ago I helped him dig them up and plant them from the creek.
I only kept mine a few years, and decided to take it out

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks Comet. Will finish wrapping it around the back of the hill later this year or next year... I have been so busy with a bunch of other stuff that I have not had much time for the yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Todd I was able to get one of the elephant ears you sent me to grow. I'm really excited. I think they are really hard to grow in this area, at least everyone I have spoken to say that they have tried year after year, and they just won't grow. Have no idea why, as I am in Zone 5 or 6, and I would guess you are the same, maybe you are Zone 7 or higher though. Anyhow, the one is doing well, the others went to mush. :( Maybe I will try again next year, but start them in my basement to get a jump on the summer. Thanks for giving me a chance to try them again, though! I have a few that I kept inside all winter, they are living, but not growing too much just yet. Have them in a pot with potting soil. Also have a very small (never has grown ...) Black Taro that I had in the basement, and it is growing but again, not much, just kind of "there". I sure would like to know what it is that doesn't allow them to grow. I tried all of the bulbs you sent in different places (stream, bog, pots with moist clay/pea gravel) and at different depths, from surface, to 3" below water for the top of the bulb. Maybe I had them too deep? Maybe you meant the bottom of the bulb should be 2-4" deep? Anyhow, I'll try again next year. Probably not enough time yet this year to get them going really well, unless they really like the heat! LOL

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have been busy and have not posted much at all this summer. I have some pics I will be posting shortly of my backyard. Pond is doing great. I did have to yank out a bunch of my plants in the bog as they took over and were cutting off water flow. I put in a purple elephant ear and it has done very well, it does not seem to grow daughters like the green ones directly from the bulb but rather sends out these shoots and then they grow roots, so will have to see come next year if they come back after storing in the basement over winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Can't wait to see purple elephant ears, T'mann! One that I got from you is HUGE, best one I've ever had! Will be bringing it inside for winter, too. Also the black one. Thanks again. Looking forward to pics of your pond.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I haven't been on here for a long time, been busy. I shut the pond down last week b/c it seems i have a small leak in my creek i think. I was losing about 2" of water a week and was tired of filling it up this time of year. The fish are doing well and hardly moving around right now as the water was around 40 last time i checked. The plants in the bog did so well that i had to rip a lot of them out b/c it was way overgrown. I was behind on my pond maintenance this fall and failed to get my elephant ears out of the pond before a hard frost got them. That's all for now just plannig my changes for next year.

Ask a Question