sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
He could keep the sand in place with the new stuff they put in sand that makes it almost like cement .You just put the sand in a cement mixer and add the liquid and mix it and then pour it in place .elastameric compound not sure I remember how to spell it but I have used it when I put in a patio .Not sure how it works on it's own but on the diy network they used it on the beach area they made at the Susan Virginia house the blog house they call it .

Reaction score
He could keep the sand in place with the new stuff they put in sand that makes it almost like cement .You just put the sand in a cement mixer and add the liquid and mix it and then pour it in place .elastameric compound not sure I remember how to spell it but I have used it when I put in a patio .Not sure how it works on it's own but on the diy network they used it on the beach area they made at the Susan Virginia house the blog house they call it .
Sounds exactly like what I need. If anyone could link that, it'd be much appreciated. I don't watch a lot of TV, so I got nothing here.

EDIT: But I am an excellent Googler:
http://www.diynetwork.com/blog-cabin-2011-backyard/video/index.html

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sissy,
I think it is the same stuff that they sell for you to use between the patio pavers you install. When I installed my patio years ago I used just sand, but when I extended my driveway I used this stuff that looked just like sand but when you water it down and dries it hardens just like concrete but still looks like sand. This stuff works well when sandwiched between two pavers but not sure how it will work on a larger scale. Also weeds do not grow between the pavers with this stuff like regular sand. My be expensive to do this.

It was similar to this:
http://www.packagepavement.com/joint_lock.html
http://www.groundtradesxchange.com/pavers/polymeric_sand.htm

Reaction score
I like that, it would be expensive because of the area I'm wanting to do. Got some ideas in mind I'm gonna work on today, draw it out on paper, then post on here. I have decided it will run under that bridge. That'll give some shade too.
I'm gonna start shopping for liner materials online. This whole thing has GOTTA be cheaper than what this guy quoted as a "kit", all I'd need, liner, skimmer, pump, bla bla bla....for $1100.00 for 8x11 size.
Is that about right? Would I just be better to go buy that from him?
I don't know about making a filter, but I'm very handy. I do want the water running over from an overturned huge pot into the pond. Something can be housed in that pot he said.

To the empty nest part of all of this, I've decided that doing these sort of things, making a cool place, might just entice kids over. Well, that and a pool I'm dreaming of they have no idea about. And..then one day, if I'm blessed..grandkids by (or prolly IN) the koi pond! *
I'm all about some fun. :LOL:

(*monitored of course, not alone)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
that quote he gave you for a small pond is to high to me .My liner I got on e-bay and I think 89 dollars for a 15x20 with free shipping and after that liner was ruined by a neighbors dog I had just gotten one weeks earlier at an auction and it was a box lot .It is fun to make the filter yourself and I don't have a skimmer I felt no need for it since there are no trees with leaves to blow in the pond .I know places like pond depot have liners cheap and there are also roofing places that sell the kind of rubber for roofing and also places like northern tools sells that kind of liner and a filter you can use anything as long as you can hide it from view .One of mine is a tote and the other is a plantainer .I use the dreaded lava rock ,but my choice since it works for me .There are lots of other things you can use and it is more or less trial and error .Try it if it fails then try something else some one else uses and so on and so on .I went through 7 or 8 things before this worked .I was amazed at how many things you can use and next year may try something new you never know .I put that stuff between my patio and it works great no weeds no shifting of the patio pavers .It depends where you get it that denotes the price

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I also forgot to say I used that patio stuff mixing it with pea gravel and has a great look to it also .

Reaction score
You can check roofing supply places for EPDM membrane which should be in the $0.50/sq ft range and you save the shipping cost. However this is really hit and miss. Only one place in Phoenix sells it.

Plants can be found all around. Even here in Phoenix I can find Canna, umbrella plants and other sedges, horse tail rush, papyrus, etc., growing in people's yards. Many pond plants do very well in a desert climate because they can store water. These plants are called "pond plants" but vernal pool plants might be more accurate. Many people are happy to give you a clump.

And many plants reproduce really fast. $5 worth of Canna can provide enough for an entire pond if you're willing to wait a couple of years and provide good growing conditions.

I understand that Skippy filters are all the rage on the Internet for backyard pond keepers, has been for years and will be for years. But they are expensive and difficult to make compared to other filters for what you get. I think the complexity is the main attraction for DIY people. However, out side of backyard hobbyists the Skippy is not used. Not by fish growers, or people way into the hobby. As an alternative a trickle tower are super easy to make, super cheap and work way better than a Skippy as a bio filter. A trickle tower can be as simple as a pile of rocks in the corner of the pond. Can't be $10 for liner, rock and hose. Of course they can be a bit more involved, but not much.

Or a stream makes a great filter both for ammonia and killing green water. A 10' stream uses about $50 worth of liner, $5 for pipe, and you can get rocks for the cost of hauling. I don't think there is a better combo filter at any cost, and almost maintenance free. And remember, a stream does not need any slope. You can have a 200' stream in a dead flat yard.

Skimmers are really easy to make too, instructions, and are basically free. The concrete work doesn't have to be perfect and the only tool needed to make the skimmer door is a pair of scissors. Less than $5 for the concrete.
door.jpg

For saving money building a pond an open mind and willingness to learn will save even more than DIY skills. It will always be more expensive to do all the things people will say you "must have". It's an endless list and grows longer everyday.

The only cost I've never been able to get around is liner and pump. However, the pump, if wanted at all, can be much smaller than most people will recommend. That saves both on the pump and running.

Ask a Question