addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr they say it is coming here maybe...............we re going into the 40's this next week!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
nope sorry I have an island blue ford explorer sport trak and a ford explorer and both are 2001 models .Thought about trading them in but the explorer is a v8 and can go from VA all the way to Atlantic City NJ on one tank of gas .The sport trak has always been crappy on gas but it only has 30 thousand miles on it so i keep what works for me .Cops just love red vehicles and like stopping them .I do love the ford edge a friend has one and what a nice comfy vehicle it is and almost bought one but bought the other house instead .oh well at least Mike and Tesia have a place to live and the horses have a home .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Sissy, Blue is a nice calm color, no use trading in unless it's gives you to much trouble. my last vehicle was my mother's old red car, it was so beat up, door would not open any more, window would not roll down, then I had three large puppies jumping up and down, heads out the window... Then it just would NOT die! Took it to work and it would NOT shut off! So it ran while I worked, then drove to the GMC dealer, left it there and took a almost new 1995 black Blazer home! It was all "back of the bus" for bad puppies, back seats fold down, little pop out slit window in back for puppy noses to sniff out, and we use it every day to get to the "bad" puppy park! Never left me stranded, and has 4 wheel drive, so I can get out of big snow drifts!

Weather last night was colder, night time lows of minus 12c, plugged in the heater overnight. Here's a quick snap of the ponds, bottom pond has lots of ice. I am taking picture with this tablet.... head out the bathroom window!

Attachments

• 1354211278862.jpg
    1354211278862.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 232
  • 1354211319252.jpg
    1354211319252.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 226
  • 1354211370652.jpg
    1354211370652.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 302

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Wow!!! I am frezzing just looking at the pics
That Heron looks to be frozen too :razz:
I know the fish are fine as I can see one swimming around but still feel bad for them.

Just makes you think how nature and the life in it adapts to what is given them.
Awesome.
Ruben

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I think they need this period of "cooling" as it can reduce the number parasites, kind of like eating White fish, you would never eat them in the summer, yuck! They would taste horrible like "slew water", but what if you catch them in the middle of winter from under the ice, YUM! They are much fresher tasting and free of water borne fea's and other parasites. That's why trout taste so good, they live in cool water. I do love fresh trout fried in butter! When I used to keep them indoors, here many years ago, found that goldfish lived longer outside ..... they always had "health" problems inside, and over crouding was a big issue. Outside they have much more space, sunshine, fresh air, and better diet of fresh greens all year, even under the ice. The outside pond is very little trouble for me, never have to take it apart and clean, large sedges do that for me and good filter too. I just add water as needed, when it is dry and windy, evaportion can be high, although the large sedge plants suck much more water during long dry spells during the summer. Now I only add water once a week.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Yes definitely they need down time as we all do.
Can you imagine how big they would be if they grew all year long :razz: we would have 10 foot koi
But yes I understand they are good and are not really stuggling still can not feel a little bad for them.

If you think I am a softy my wife would want you to put in a pool heater and a canopy or something :razz: :razz:

Ruben :razz:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I let my pond get cold, half of it was frozen over this am, just a thin layer, but frozen. I like the cold, would love some snow a good few weeks of total down time. Kill off some of the bugs that hang around. The plants do better with a deep dormancy period too.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Today I have lots of ice, as it has been getting colder, and I have not heated for a few days. Will plug in for a short while tonight. The ice has formed over most of the waterways now. Currently only minus 5c, and should remain fairly mild for next few days.

Attachments

• IMAG2631-1.jpg
    IMAG2631-1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 246
  • IMAG2630-1.jpg
    IMAG2630-1.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 229
  • IMAG2629-1.jpg
    IMAG2629-1.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 264
  • IMAG2622-1.jpg
    IMAG2622-1.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 268

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
How's your hubby doing Colleen? Hope he's not feeling too bad from all those treatments and going back and forth on that bus every week.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Week two of radiation treatments going good, just has a little red in face. Honey doing fine so far, but four more weeks to go though... he likes to take the bus, says it's less stressful then me driving! Ha ha remind me to beat him when he is better! Ha ha ha! I keep his mind off things by working the kitchen over and making extra nice dinners!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
He is thinking of you Colleen, glad he is doing ok.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
men never like women driving them any where and never understood that .Hey told my hubby if I had not gotten him to the hospital he would not be alive now so shut up sit back and don't say one word .I only remember looking at the gauge once during the run to the hospital and i remember 95 at one point and we made it so don't complain to me and don't ever say one word about my driving . :razz:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good news Colleen and you can work the kitchen over now and him later when he's well :LOL:
Whenever hubby and I drive anywhere I do the driving in my little Subaru and we use that most of the time. He's learning after 40 some years together to sit down, shut up and hold on or I say there's the door and don't let it hit you in the arse..................I'm so mean............... and he treats me so nice :D

Ask a Question