j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If we get a break in the rain I will try that. I have just the right long pole w/ a hook on it that can grab it up nicely.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Outside today before work the ice is mostly gone now, and I groomed some of the horn wort to show you how I do it. I do have easy access all around pond so that makes it nicer and quicker too. Times like this I am glad my ponds are all slightly built up instead of down low, makes accessing much easier in old age!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine hangs out on the bottom, grows up like little trees in the stock tank, not quite as good in the big pond.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
The horn wort will fall to the bottom in most ponds, but in the upper pond the water movement pushes it around more and now it grows everywhere. It just depends on the flow of the water I think, cause in the bottom pond it falls to the bottom usually and grows up from there. Come summer there will be a ton of it again, after the fish try to eat lots of it each spring.

Need some sunshine, here is my most popular Horn Wort Video, it has lots of views and one person liked it!! People on U tube are really CHEAP with their "likes" ha ha ha!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good to know from you guys that it's ok to be on the bottom. I LIKE your hornwort video Colleen and I'll have to put a spin on it somehow next year :)

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
You can just take one of the hoses from any pump and have a push going on in the water. I play with my hoses all the time and move them around to redirect the flow in the top pond, that way the stuff does not collect on the bottom of that pond, it gets pushed down stream. Sometimes the horn wort gets caught on something, but then I free it and it churns and sprins again nicely and it is so relaxing just watching it spin with the fish swimming around under it, it gets hypnotic and hours go by.... boy do I miss summer!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Lisa you are too nice! I am glad that you like my voice, I think we all think we sound funny when we listen to ourselves, but to others the sound is different. Sometimes I can be loud like at work and then nobody says my voice is mesmerizing! ha ha ha ..... Now Get BACK to WorK! Are you Done That Yet? he he he

Reaction score
Colleen, I would really like to run my pumps all winter, but am worried about ice dams forming in a stream, I would love your advice in my first posted thread here rather than hijack yours....

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Colleen, I would really like to run my pumps all winter, but am worried about ice dams forming in a stream, I would love your advice in my first posted thread here rather than hijack yours....[/QUOTE

That's just fine to post here, that is why I am here, to help if I can. I need to know what weather zone you are in and what kind of filters you have. External filters can freeze during exteme cold so all my pumps and filters are all underwater. Usually the stream would ice up but water should still flow under ice. You could disconnect the stream and just run pump in water with good sized filter and heater when exteme cold. Heater should be placed where water circulates good to evenly heat whole pond better.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I had to laugh at your conversation w/Poppy on the ice :LOL:
If she fell in she would not like it and you would have to drag her butt out somehow. Shame on Poppy for making you worry like that

Nice to see your pond melting and maybe you getting some nice temps ahead. Our nice temps always come w/rain unfortunately which I hear is on the way soon.

Ask a Question