j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep you got a system and it does work. Are you on city water? Do you have to do the chlorine removal adding to your ponds?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Actually today was not too terribly cold, we made it to 26 Fahrenheit! Then with the big yellow sun out in afternoon, it felt not to cold. Little Rio was out and about chasing big puppies out back behind the ponds for a very short while today... was the first time in weeks that it was little warm and now she is all tuckered out and fast asleep.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
How often do you add de-chlorinator to your pond? From spring through fall we can fill our pond with well water if it gets low, but in the winter we have to shut down the well and use city water, which is chlorinated.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am double coating little missy to take her out in the cold. I need to make her something better.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
How often do you add de-chlorinator to your pond? From spring through fall we can fill our pond with well water if it gets low, but in the winter we have to shut down the well and use city water, which is chlorinated.
I usually add de-chlorinator every time I add water, unless I am just adding a very little amount of water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Our weather down here sure seems like it heads up your way a lot Colleen after we get done w/it. Bear better watch it and good thing he and Poppy have all that nice thick fur for when one of them falls into your icy pond. Guess you are out there w/them whenever they are out?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Not always, and they always walk on ponds when they are frozen. Bad thing is now they are teaching little Rio and I can't have that! I am always out with little Rio, and the gate can be closed off to pond so nobody gets in.

Sitting at A&W with my mom, waiting for Uncle burgers. She loves to go to A&W but if that other Vegan sister finds out she will be mad at us again!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Weather has been fabulous the last couple days, temperatures are just above freezing during the day and things have been melting.
Heater has been unplugged for the last week or so now.

Look at the big chunks of hornwort I found in my pond!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Your Hornwort is making me drool. I can hardly see any in my pond now. I see one piece has attached itself in a pot w/ a lily. I guess I will need to get some more in the Spring. Maybe the fish are eating some of it? I will have to get a bunch of it and hope it can grow ahead of the pigs. Your temps are nice and warm now too Colleen like ours. If our weather is coming your way this time lookout cuz we had a heck of a windstorm last night!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I thought most of my Horn wort was gone from top pond, but it was hiding in aquatic weeds on edge of pond. It just amazes me how it can look so thick and vibrant right after being frozen solid as much of floats to top and freezes in ice.

I have the two hose outlets pumping water to top pond, angled down and right in close to the water surface now, so the water flow shifted aND pushed the Horn Wort to other side of pond.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Now I sitting outside in greenhouse right, and the wind is howling up top on the trees now, as it moves over the top of nearby cliff, a bock away, on towards the southwest, so that would be your direction JW. The prevailing winds are mostly from your direction it would seem. The roar outside way up in the tree tops sounds incredible! Thankfully I am down below and we get mostly wind gusts, but not real bad like up on the hill.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well then get ready for a dumping of rain cuz boy today about 3:30pm our time it unloaded on us. The sky got really dark and I had to walk home from my friends house soon but fortunately it only lasted about 1/2 hour.

Ask a Question