My pond runs all winter, zone 2/3

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
you know colleen you can trim away the edges of the leaves on a banana plant and it will not harm it .You can even take more leaves off it as long as there are 1 or 2 it is fine .<ine de back over the winter and I put extra mulch on them and a black plastic garbage bag to help retain heat .
Yes I already trimmed much off. Last winter I froze the one smaller red banana pretty hard and all leaves were gone. Moved it into greenhouse last winter after it was dead looking. Never showed any signs of life all last winter, but then spring came and it came back!

My Indian friend from Indian says to save her the leaves cause they serve food in them... Maybe eat them too?

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine die back and look dead but them come back full force .As long as the roots don't freeze they come back

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
55 right now heading back up into the 70's today, enjoy your snow!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
61 here and headed up to 76 they say .Got a lot done yesterday and was exhausted .I was planning on going to Winston Salem NC Saturday but guess that is off .Saying rain from the storm .So guessing I will move the 1 gate on the chain link fence over 5 feet so it is in a better spot to access the back yard .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I love following your thread because you make me happy to be living in Ohio! How is the pond cover coming?
Well I just have nets on top right now. Was not expecting sudden cold down to Minus 6 Celsius. Ponds will not freeze yet . will work on that next day off

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Sitting in greenhouse and having coffee. Too wet and ugly outside to work. Snowing very lightly mixed with rain. No snow on ground yet. But tonight will be cold and even colder tomorrow. Barely above freezing right now...
1475692297464974054960.jpg

I need to get stuff done inside and clean fish tank.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Resting and having a cup of coffee and put a roast in the oven for hubby .Gotta love this oven with the convection feature .It gets things done so fast it is amazing .Wish i had this when I was working .

Ask a Question