callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Curious why did you get guppies colleen
I accidently got that first old guppy colony way back in 1991, as they came with a few fish tank plants I had purchased years ago at the pet store at the end of the block, call "Allowance Avenue Pets". Before that, in my fish tanks mixed with other fish, I had the fancy guppies. The problem back then was getting the fancy guppies to "stay fancy" as within a few short generations, the whole tank would revert back to the then "common Endlers guppy". I used to have two very old upsidedown cat fish that lived for well over 20 years in that tank as well.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am cutting back on my ponding .Got rid of a few of my fish and now I have fish that I got from another ponder after they decided it was to much for them and they pulled liner and filled in the pond .I had them in the stock tank in the basement for 2 months and since rebuilding I added them to my pond until I find them a new home .It was easier than having to keep the stock tank clean and running .Come spring hopefully they will go to new homes .Only 4 of them

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
My good friend gave up her ponds too and has nothing to care for, now she travels lots and has fun in the sun all over the place. My one vegan sister gave up her pond and house to travel the world. I don't like to travel or leave home, but I am very happy for her. That is my older sister that thought she was pregnant at 51 a couple years back, and I think this is good for her.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond takes such little care it does not keep us from wandering around. Even in the summer I can ignore it. So we will have it until our acres gets to hard to care for. Which hopefully is a long time from now.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Our weather is so mild most of the time and rain refills the pond all year long. We could leave here in Fall and Winter and come home in the Summer to enjoy the somewhat warmth and pond would be fine. Goldfish can eat what they find and don't need to be fed by us. The property here tho will be what drives us to get a place w/smaller mowing area and I think I would not start a new pond again if we did move.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Guppy ponds are really popular these days so this spring I will work hard on getting that guppy pond back up and running early. It's so amazing, put a few guppies in and look at all the beautiful guppies that come out in fall. I swear that they grow and breed way faster outside in pond.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks JW. We should have a thread just for guppy ponds. Guppies are so very popular these days and you can have a sweet easy care guppy pond. My guppy stuff is 100 times more popular than my koi ponds. I think because guppy ponds are easy to care for without the big expense and care required for big koi. Plus if your in a more southern area you can have a small year round guppy pond that can be heated with low watt fish tank heater in mild southern winters.

Ask a Question