My pond

Reaction score
Good morning everyone
I have a 3000 gallon pond, with a 5200gph pump going to Hayward 1200pre-filter, then to a 100 gallon Skippy filter. I also have the a150watt uv-light but only on 1 of 2 returns. The pond is in full sun. I have 3 medium water lily's and 4 small 8 inches koi, a 3000gph pump for my waterfall.
Since I started I have used the so call pads at the bottom about 1 foot thick then my media(Mix of bio balls, and other plastic media and then another layer of mats. the last layer and the pre filter I clean at least every week to keep water flow.

My pond still after 3 month is still green I need help please

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and i just used quilt batting in a basket soaked in peroxide and water to pick up all the fine algae cells .I put a course filter pad on top of the quilt batting to pick up heavy stuff
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52794]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52697]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52124]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52128]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52129]

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Howdy-frog--11-1.gif
Rick

Reaction score
Good afternoon and thank you for your response, I have several questions.

Sissy you said soak the mat in peroxide, is this the hydrogen peroxide you buy to clean wound? How much do you use, is this done every week or less, is it safe?

I will start setting up, again my pond since right now I have no fish. in my Skippy filter I use 2 types of media,40 round 20' floor scrubbing pads and in the middle Bio-balls and other plastic media.
Any recommendations?

Reaction score
We do the same thing to get the algae out, but I dont bother with the peroxide ... The stuffing is cheap enough (I buy cheap 100% poly pillows), and after a few rinses, just throw it out, and replace with new stuffing.

Reaction score
I finally set up my pond again, drained it 905 cleaned up the green stuff off the walls and vacuumed the bottom. Replaced my 5 water lilies into larger pots. Added water from my well and after 24 hrs I can see the bottom again. The water is very clear and I still have some green on the walls as expected due to the bright sun.
Thanks to Sissy the suggestion on the stuffing did the job.
Now I have other Question/

1. (City Water) When you do the water changes, I assume you add the De-chlorinator first to the Pond then add water slowly? I usually add well water but sometimes is cloudy.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have well water but cleaning the good muck off the walls of your pond may lead to an algae bloom .I bought a filter thing from a hydroponics sight and it was cheap .I had my old well filter but thought this would be better and just hooked it to my hose as it has the same fittings.They had a more expensive one with a built in uv also .
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53178]

Reaction score
welcome

ricksplace, I would think that unless you're doing a huge water change for some reason, that doing a 10-20% water change would not warrant de-chlor but am thinking some people will do just to be safe as it were.. thinking if you add water using a shower feature on a hose nozzle or allow water to splash into pond that that would be sufficient

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sissy said:
I have well water but cleaning the good muck off the walls of your pond may lead to an algae bloom .I bought a filter thing from a hydroponics sight and it was cheap .I had my old well filter but thought this would be better and just hooked it to my hose as it has the same fittings.They had a more expensive one with a built in uv also .
Does it work well Sissy? I have a whole house filter on our outside water line, ow the drip irrigators get plugged up with tiny black rocks. We double filter the inside house water. Love the taste of our water, sure hope it is safe lol.

Ask a Question