sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Can't see it too well but looks like the same thing they use in Puerto Rico and won't say so others can guess

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks like a digging bar, but hard to tell

Reaction score
It is a "Barra", or a solid steel bar. A point on one end and a small spade on the other. I had never seen or heard of one but it is essential in the Yucatan. You break your way through the coral to form your planters or make a hole.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
That would be useful for working on difficult ground for digging, levering roots and rocks which would break a shovel

Reaction score
An essential hole digging implement when you live on rock. I still remember taking many weekends to dig holes to plant a tree. Hold the bar as high as you can up in the air then launch it at the rock. Extra points for climbing up a ladder before you launch your rock breaker. Then when your arms start shaking from exhaustion you get out the high pressure nozzle and blast some water at the fractured rock. Dig out pieces of busted up rock and wonder if you would ever have a hole big enough for a baby tree. I can not even fathom trying to dig a pond out by hand with a rock breaker. Plus, that is a tool for youth. Young, invincible and oodles of time.

I am so glad to dig in my sugar sand. I don't even remember what I did with my rock breaker, at some point along the way it was too heavy to pay to move it and got donated to some poor friend stuck digging holes in seemingly solid rock.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Chop away Bullfrog............only sandy soil here. We have a short version of that tool we found at the last house we bought.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Our property sits on a terminal morraine, the ridge left as the last glacier receeded. (Before my time.) The soil is a layer of fertile dirt over every kind of rock you can think of. I have a 5' steel bar, round for the most part, but with a square, flat point on the business end. My tool of choice, however, is a pick!
John

Ask a Question