JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Is that normal? The green color? I didn't even know such a thing existed before. Such a bright green too!

It's one of the most common bees here. Metallic Green Sweat Bee. There a few different types. Some have the black and white stripes like Addy's and the one in my photo, and some are all green.

IMG_3273 copy.jpg

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh my lawdy. Where have I been that I didn't know this??? I feel like I just found out that there are 2 Easter bunnies and 1 of them glows in the dark!!!!
I'm googling this because I think they are so cool looking.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh my lawdy. Where have I been that I didn't know this??? I feel like I just found out that there are 2 Easter bunnies and 1 of them glows in the dark!!!!
I'm googling this because I think they are so cool looking.

Blue Orchard Mason Bees are pretty cool too. Never seen one in person, though. Not really sure if they're in my area.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Three of my native plants decided that the 4th of July was the perfect day to begin bursting open with color. Swamp Milkweed, Purple Prairie Clover, Bee Balm. The Bee Balm doesn't look like it's going to be as red as I was hoping, so I may have to continue my search for the red ones. This looks like like a pink-red.
Untitled-1.jpg

Yesterday, I bought and added Blue Giant Hyssop after seeing it on a trail last Thursday.
IMG_3568 copy.jpg

IMG_3571 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Created a mason bee house two years ago... Must be working...every year I have gotten more and more mason bees. This year I have had to drill more holes for the 1st time in a year becuase
20170707_160138.jpg
they have filled all spots. Just put up a 2nd house as well.
20170703_180315.jpg
20170707_160156.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Created a mason bee house two years ago... Must be working...every year I have gotten more and more mason bees. This year I have had to drill more holes for the 1st time in a year becuaseView attachment 101819 they have filled all spots. Just put up a 2nd house as well.View attachment 101817 View attachment 101818

Nice! I've just been getting Potter wasps so far this year, unsure if native or not. I've seen bees go in, but they just use it as shelter and don't nest. I'm expecting Leafcutter bee activity to start picking up shortly.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So, my Monarda didyma turned out to be pink, unfortunately. I'll leave it in until I can slowly replace it. If wildlife usage is high, I'd consider keeping it, but I wanted red. I think I'll put some in my bog and see if it survives.
IMG_3646 copy.jpg

The day I discovered it was pink, I went out to a local garden center and bought the last red one they had in stock. It's the 'Jacob Cline' variety. I generally stay away from hybrids or cultivars, but I'll make the exception since it's so difficult to find the red wild specie. It's only one stalk, so i hope it spreads quickly. I'm gonna need a lot of it.

IMG_3661 copy.jpg

Meanwhile, my Monarda fistulosa is just beginning to bloom. At this point, my garden is basically 50 shades of Monarda.
IMG_3658 copy.jpg

I've also began cutting down Smooth Oxeye, sadly. They've been completely taken over by powdery mildew and I want to limit that as much as possible. I may end up just removing them all together and finding something else that'll work in that spot. It's a setback to the section of garden I added last year, and I can't figure out why they have it so bad, but I never see that problem in the wild.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The 'Jacob Cline' Bee Balm is blooming! Pretty amazing. I'm definitely gonna want more of this in the garden.
IMG_3669 copy.jpg

Blue Giant Hyssop is also blooming. Both are in the mint family.
IMG_3677 copy.jpg

Green Sweat Bee on Purple Prairie Clover.
IMG_3687 copy.jpg

...and currently the most colorful section of garden.
IMG_3689 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Looking good JB... I Think I have a Mix of leafcutter bees and mason bees sharing my bee house. I put up a 2nd one an added more nesting tubes.
20170710_170751.jpg
20170710_170801.jpg
20170710_170801.jpg

Last edited:

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Love seeing the pics of your gardens, @Nanner . We have a Purple Emperor Butterfy Bush that has started flowering in the past week or so and it is doing it's job attracting butterflies. I should take some pics if we get sun today.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have found out those butterfly bushes grow everywhere! They are popping up everywhere in my yard. A few I have to cut down, but the critters love them.

Ask a Question