addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a bunch of it growing, the bees love it! It blooms best with moisture in the air.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My native garden is becoming more and more colorful.

Lanceleaf Tickseed.
IMG_2786 copy.jpg

Blue Flag Iris and Spiderwort
IMG_2791 copy.jpg

Spiderwort with Metallic Green Sweat Bee
IMG_2801 copy.jpg

and my Wild Lupine.
IMG_2810 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Last month, I bought Indian Pink. It's native to a good portion of the U.S., but not Wisconsin. It's right on the edge of being able to survive our winters, so we'll see if it does. I sure hope it does. It's shockingly bright! It's a natural hummingbird feeder and on the top 10 native hummingbird plants list. I'll definitely have to move it though. It's a smaller plant that needs to be more up front and easy to see. If it does survive, I wouldn't mind establishing a nice population of them. I can definitely see that these would be amazing in large groups.

IMG_2950 copy.jpg

IMG_2947 copy.jpg

My Lanceleaf Tickseed is busy with pollinators.
IMG_2938 copy.jpg

One of my favorite beetles, Swamp Milkweed Leaf Beetle, appeared in the garden today. Despite its name, it's attracted to any milkweed. Here it is on Butterflyweed.
IMG_2944 copy.jpg

Lastly is my Penstemon digitalis.
IMG_2953 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My habitat is very active today. Butterflies, dragonflies, bees, beetles, even hummingbirds. Plus, the rabbits that are destroying all of my seedlings.

Cabbage White. Non-native and invasive.
IMG_2977 copy.jpg

Bee, not sure of the specie. I don't really know too many bee species.
IMG_2997 copy.jpg

Dragonfly... don't know what specie, either.
IMG_3005 copy.jpg

Swamp Milkweed Leaf Beetle
IMG_3012 copy.jpg

and another Dragonfly. Looks similar to the first one but without blue. Maybe a female. There were quite a few of them in the garden today.
IMG_3008 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've never heard of Indian Pink! Where did you find it?

I first learned about it on a site that lists the top ten native plants to attract Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, and I ended up finding it at a garden center in southeastern Wisconsin by pure coincidence. It's actually even better than it looks in a photo.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
With tomorrow being the start of National Pollinator Week, I decided to do something for pollinators. Yesterday, I added about 50 sq. ft. of native garden around my shed. It will be a shade garden. I don't have many shade plants but I moved some violets over there for now.

I decided that wasn't enough, so I'm adding even more. The areas in green below are part of my new additions, which will total around 130 sq. ft. and bring the overall total to somewhere between 950-1000 sq. ft. It's absolutely amazing, considering I started with 64 sq. ft. I initially thought it would be enough, but it wasn't.

This will likely be my final addition to my main native garden, but never say never.

GardenBluePrint copy2017.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here's the outline of my addition. A pretty good chunk of space there for native plants. As you can see, my original native garden section was very squared off. Thankfully, this addition gives it a more natural rounded look.

The worst part will be waiting a couple years for it to fill in and blend with the rest of the garden.

IMG_3042 copy.jpg

Meanwhile, Bush's Coneflower and Orange Milkweed have started blooming.
IMG_3024 copy.jpg

IMG_3022 copy.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Walking the pup, saw this little native bee eating on a "weed" that I don't pull. Legs covered with pollen. Pretty green back.
IMG_1576.JPG
IMG_1577.JPG

Ask a Question