Native Gardening

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JBtheExplorer, May 17, 2016.

1. JBtheExplorer

JBtheExplorer Native Gardener

Keep in mind with Golden Alexanders, its definitely best to get seeds or plants from a nursery, unless you know how to positively ID it. Mistakenly collecting Wild Parsnip seeds would be an awful mistake!

The Eastern Tiger Swallowtail caterpillar uses the Tulip tree, as well as other trees.

Last year I began adding a bunch of Common Blue Violets and Confederate Violets in hopes of attracting fritillary butterflies. Hopefully after a year or two they'll fill in and that'll happen. Great spangled fritillary butterflies are one of my favorite butterflies.

JBtheExplorer, Feb 2, 2018
    CountryEscape likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. JBtheExplorer

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

We are surrounded by tulip popular and black locust, our primary nectar sources for the bees.

addy1, Feb 2, 2018
    JBtheExplorer and CountryEscape like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. JBtheExplorer

CountryEscape

CountryEscape, Feb 3, 2018
  4. JBtheExplorer

When I first got into native gardening, Prairie Moon Nursery's website was the place to be. It still is. I've only gotten seeds from them a few times, but I've used their site as a resource hundreds of times. They have tons of native, colorful species, and I find their layout easy to use. They've also recently worked on improving the search and filters to find plants easier based on color, bloom time, zone, etc. I highly recommend it if you want to learn what's in your area. Each plant will have a map of its native range and all the other necessary information.

JBtheExplorer, Feb 3, 2018
  5. JBtheExplorer

Lisak1

Thanks @JBtheExplorer - that's a great resource! I do love how the website functions - very easy to use!

Lisak1, Feb 3, 2018
    JBtheExplorer likes this.
  6. JBtheExplorer

It was great before they made the search updates, and now its 10x better.
    If you want to find all yellow plants, you click the yellow circle and there they all are. If you want zone 5 plants, you click zone 5 and bam! It's really helpful if you're looking for a certain color or height, or looking for something that blooms at a specific time or year, or anything else you might want.

JBtheExplorer, Feb 4, 2018
  7. JBtheExplorer

Lisak1

I'm having fun just checking my knowledge of native plants! Oh, the things we will do to while away the winter hours!

Lisak1, Feb 4, 2018
  8. JBtheExplorer

CountryEscape

Wow, just your description makes me want to check it out, too! Too late tonight. I've been up since early, getting my house ready for company, who have been here and gone now, so it's time to wind down. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I'll definitely look into it!
    Oh, and today I finally had Christmas with my son, daughter in law, and grandson, Mikey. My DIL got me not only the Audubon Book "Field Guide to Birds", and "Field Guide to Butterflies of North America", but also "Prairie Plants of Illinois"!!! The pictures are all black and white drawings, so seeing them in color will be helpful on the website!

CountryEscape, Feb 4, 2018
  9. JBtheExplorer

Lisak1

She knows you well! Merry Christmas! haha!

Lisak1, Feb 4, 2018
  10. JBtheExplorer

I'm not a book person, except when it comes to those exact things you listed. I have bird books, amphibian and reptile books, spider books, insect books, pond life books, etc. All are very old and out of date, most older than me, but still nice to look at from time to time and easy to transport because most of mine are small enough to fit in my pocket. In recent years, I find myself using allaboutbirds.org a lot, it's really helpful that they have the calls of each bird. My cat also goes crazy when I play the calls she's familiar with through my speakers. She thinks there's a bird outside my window. I've used wisconsinbutterflies.org on more than one occasion, too. Not for butterfly calls, of course. ;)

The one thing I don't have is a Wisconsin native plant book, as surprising as that is. I've wanted one for years, but never get around to it.

JBtheExplorer, Feb 4, 2018
  11. JBtheExplorer

CountryEscape

The one thing I don't have is a Wisconsin native plant book, as surprising as that is. I've wanted one for years, but never get around to it.[/QUOTE]

@JBtheExplorer, you'll need to put that book on your Christmas Wish List. Duh!!! Haha Last year my DIL put together a bag with lots of pockets and included a box of zip loc bags, permanent marker, very sharp pruner, and plastic fold up guides for native plants (in color!!!) for all the States my family lives in - WI, IL, IN, and UT. Daughter now has moved to ND, so need one for there now. LOL What a totally thoughtful gift! She knows me very well. I have shared native seeds with her for the Park, since many or most are also native in IN. She trusts me to know what I have gathered and know that they are what I say they are. If I'm not 100% positive, I don't give any of them to her. They are constantly creating new native plantings around the park, most to keep from having to mow or are erosive and the natives will help take care of that as well. It's awesome! Oh, and she had extra seeds of I think Joe Pye and one other type, so they put them in envelopes and are selling them in their store for $1 per pack. What a neat idea! She said they are selling like hotcakes. :)
    Oh, and I went to that website and it's fantastic!!!! Thanks for sharing that with us. I'm definitely saving that as a favorite. It has color pictures for me to compare with, plus lots of info. I can now get the rest of the info from my native plant guide, too. Yay!

CountryEscape, Feb 4, 2018
  12. JBtheExplorer

JamieB

Two local flowers I’ll be gathering seeds from this year. No clue what they are, just pretty

Attached Files:

JamieB, Feb 5, 2018
  13. JBtheExplorer

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I have that purple can't recall the name, but the bees love it! I gather the seeds and toss them out all of the time.

addy1, Feb 5, 2018
  14. JBtheExplorer

CountryEscape

The first one looks like maybe a wild hyacinth variety, and the second one maybe Snow on the Mountain. My sister had a variety of snow on the mountain many years ago, and had a heck of a time getting rid of it. It reseeded EVERYWHERE, in the grass and even in the rock driveway. But, yours looks much prettier. LOL

CountryEscape, Feb 5, 2018
  15. JBtheExplorer

JamieB

The purple one grows wild in ditches just east of here, and the white one in my bosses cow pasture.

JamieB, Feb 5, 2018
  16. JBtheExplorer

The first one is Dotted Blazing Star (Liatris punctata).
    The second one is Snow-On-The-Mountain (Euphorbia marginata). It's an annual.

For the record, seeds of both are available on Prairie Moon Nursery. (y)

JBtheExplorer, Feb 5, 2018
  17. JBtheExplorer

Lisak1

I thought that first one looked like liatris! And the foliage on the second one is so pretty - I love green and white variegated leaf patterns!

Lisak1, Feb 5, 2018
  18. JBtheExplorer

JamieB

I bought weed barrier to go around the gazebo today. With plastic under it to kill grasses, I’ll be trying to clear ground for plants next! I was bad, I bought more seeds and some flower bulbs. Columbine seeds, some small white flowers, can’t recall the name of.

JamieB, Feb 5, 2018
  19. JBtheExplorer

I used to do the same. More than I needed, but I was excited to plant as many natives as I could. I have too many species in my garden now. I'll need to cut it down so I have fewer species but more plants of each specie. That way, everything will better establish itself. Plus, pollinators prefer a large amount of the same specie rather than a large selection of many species.

I'm not done adding new species, though. This year, my goal is to add one or two native grasses to my garden. I know my local nursery usually carries two or three species of native grasses. I have no idea which species they carry, but I'm very interested in Blue Grama (Bouteloua gracilis) and Side-oats Grama (Bouteloua curtipendula). Little Bluestem (Schizachyrium scoparium) is a possibility too, especially since it's a host plant to Skipper butterflies.

JBtheExplorer, Feb 6, 2018
  20. JBtheExplorer

Lisak1

@JBtheExplorer - do you ever find the natives do TOO well in your garden? As in they take over? We visited the native prairie area of the Chicago Botanic garden last year for the first time and they told us that it was a simple matter to get the prairie started and only took a fire every few years to keep it under control. haha...aaaaaaahhhh. So that got me thinking about natives and WHY they are native and their ability to thrive in our gardens. You mentioned native grasses made me think of it - I have a few grasses that need taming this spring, which does not look to be a fun OR easy job!

Lisak1, Feb 6, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question