Native Gardening

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Starting a new project beneath a row of Maple trees that are between my driveway and my neighbor's driveway. It's a weedy area and it's time for me to plant some natives.
IMG_3044 copy.jpg

It's not all weeds. There are some natives growing including May Apple and Redtwig dogwood.
IMG_3036 copy.jpg

I also discovered Downy Yellow Violet last month. It appears to be growing a seed pod now, so hopefully now that I'm clearing a lot of the weeds out, those seeds will become plants.
IMG_3035 copy.jpg

I've been moving wild geranium and eastern red columbine seedlings over as well, and I hope to move some young ferns over, too.

Ad

Advertisements

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I'm afraid the little cats will eat everything before it all blooms. Haven't found any yet but it's been raining for last 3 days.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine has just started blooming, so far only seeing bees and other butterflies on the plants.

Ad

Advertisements

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My native milkweed is loaded with blooms! It seems to be a good year for it as I'm seeing tons of it along side the highways. Swamp milkweed and Tropical both starting to bloom. Too much rain here so no butterflies lately.

Ad

Advertisements

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've been so inspired by the success of my native gardens this year that I decided to add onto the main garden. The areas outlined in green will be the new additions. It'll add about 220 square feet of pollinator habitat. I've got to remove the grass, which is really just weeds, and then I'll be seeding the new areas this winter. I'm not exactly sure what the plan is for the new areas, specifically the one on the east side. I might introduce some different species in that area since it isn't directly connected to the rest of the garden. Only time will tell!

GardenBluePrintn.jpg

Also, here's some video from my garden taken on Friday.

Ad

Advertisements

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow @JBtheExplorer you are gonna have a park there and will be able to charge admission w/ all those beautiful plants butterflies,bees, rabbits and birds galore! Do they have garden tours in your area cuz you would qualify as having a nice one and your pond also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I could watch that video all day. :) Such a wonderful habitat you've created! The 'locals' in your area are so lucky to be able to enjoy what you have created, and they'll benefit from the proposed expansion as well.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That is beautiful. Is it a type of lily?
It's not. It is actually in the carnation family, and closely related to Lychnis species that are often sold in garden centers. I find myself confused why a non-native Lychnis is so commonly sold but this beautiful native is not. Good thing they had it in stock at the native plant sale in June! There are so many amazing native species that are entirely overlooked by nurseries and garden centers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you. I will have to be on the lookout for this. If it is in the carnation family I guess it is also related to pinks?

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question